In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Questions about Colorado gun laws...

mstrblastermstrblaster Member Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

So if a guy was going camping in Colorado in a few weeks, could he take his AR and regular 30 rnd mags? Or since the new high capacity mag laws, should one only possess 10 rnd mags?

Does a concealed carry weapon have to have low capacity mags, even if from out of state?

Or do you just carry in what you have and hope you don't get caught since the mag laws are fairly new?

Asking for a friend!!

To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go out into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness, how cheap, how cowardly, how pathetic. Ted Nugent.

Comments

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

If the law says 10 rounds then you should stick with 10 rounds, JMHO. If you have a concealed carry permit and it's not from, or recognized by Colorado then it probably won't do you much good. Kinda like driving around with a bottle of whiskey between your legs, you're free to do it until you get caught.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭

Colorado's gun laws today might be different than in a few weeks. It will also vary with who owns the campgrounds: private, State, or Fed. Colorado is now a leftist enclave, so don't count on a LEO being understanding or tolerant.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • mstrblastermstrblaster Member Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

Thanks! Friend does have concealed carry permit that is reciprocated by Colorado.

It looks like new laws took effect in June.....

To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go out into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness, how cheap, how cowardly, how pathetic. Ted Nugent.
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭

Just carry what you think you need. If you have to use it, then you have it. Deal with the consequences.........what is your life worth? If you never use it then you are free and clear.............noone will be the wiser.

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

After July 1, 2013, magazines holding more than 15 rounds may not be sold, transferred, or possessed in Colorado unless they were lawfully owned prior to July 1, 2013. 

If the man owned the magazines prior to the cutoff date then they are perfectly legal to use for any lawful purpose.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Word of caution, sometimes conceal carry is for handguns only. Just depends on how each state defines CCW, CCH, and so on.

• Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭

...I have no idea about Co. gun laws...Ive carried my handgun all over and never concerned myself with the local law...keep it concealed and dont worry about it...far better to have it if ever needed...the bad guys are NEVER concerned with the law...Several states do allow carry of a long gun/handgun if you are on at least an overnight trip, which ones I dont know...

...Why would you carry an AR anyway...here in Texas any long gun can be hauled around all day if you want to...several years ago, a lot of people carried long guns in their rifle rack in their truck, still see it in smaller towns...

I think he keeps the AR in his truck or camper. In case he runs into a BLM 'peaceful protest', or bad guy active shooter incident while going thru large cities.

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited July 2022

Sounds like a major change from the original..." if a guy was going camping in Colorado in a few weeks."

Pick a (completely fabricated) story and stick to it.

It is the same story Mark!!

Are you implying my friend takes too much armament when he travels?? He just wants to be ready for everything I think.....