In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 12 Compensator

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭

I recently picked up a few guns including a Winchester Model 12 in 16 gauge, 2 3/4" with a rib and compensator. I've learned a bit about the gun itself, including the "it's not broken" feed system. The gun also carries a compensator and I can find nothing about it on line. I don't know if it's a Cutts model or Lyman or if either, what model it is or how to adjust.

Rather than straight cuts on its side this uses a series of "V" shape on each side of the barrel. There is a knurled lock ring at the barrel and the muzzle of the device. The barrel stops at the start of the cuts and then starts again where the cuts end. I'm assuming the shot column and wad don't open up in that space.

Any idea regarding make or model and how to adjust? I assume Winchester didn't attach these at the factory and is aftermarket, yes?

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

If it looks like this, it is a Pachmayer Power Pac choke system. It uses its own proprietary choke tubes and I do see them for sale online occasionally. Winchester did factory installation of some choke systems, but I don't recall them installing the Power Pac. The easiest way to tell is if there is a choke marking on the barrel. If there is, the choke system was definitely aftermarket. Bob

Edit to add: The knurled ring at the muzzle is actually the inner choke tube. Turn it to remove the tube.

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

^

That's it. 😀

The knurled rings are held in place by an Allen head set screw. I noticed the front sight bead on mine is part of the compensator. It's on the outer sleeve. I suppose once the device is in place there must be a way of ensuring it doesn't turn if one is replacing the inner choke tube.

Interesting set up.

I see a few tubes for sale on line.

Many thanks -