In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Not real happy with Hornaday

Their 308 MATCH BRASS. Most are showing split necks when fired the first time and even had some necks chunk out when resizing. Hornaday wants the lot number. Who keeps the cardboard sack they get brass in? How am I supposed to know what lot number it is? All I know is the brass is not made right and it is failing. Hornaday refuses to help.

Hey, LAPUA, I am going to need some good match brass!

Comments

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

LAPUA fist choice, Winchester second.

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I settled for STARLINE ordered from the auction isde. I have all the tooles needed to assure proper neck thickness and bullet run out.

I use Lapua in my 6BR but it blows my mind how expensive it has gotten. Maybe I am stuck in the last century on price and value.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Lapua has always been the best and the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

My fine shootin guns get Lapua. I think I have enough to out last me.

Shoot a 6 x 284 and .243 Winchester.

Neck down 6.5 x 284 for the 6.

• OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Their 308 MATCH BRASS. Most are showing split necks when fired the first time and even had some necks chunk out when resizing. Hornaday wants the lot number. 

Yep, some really like to use the lot number question for an out.

Couple of thoughts: (I've walked in your shoes and also got no results sometimes, like from Hodgdons/powders for example

Probably going to have to speak to someone at the upper end of their food chain, like towards the horses mouth.

Might ask them if they have any recalls on any of their brass.

Also might ask if they would inspect/examine the brass and see if they can find any defects in the brass itself. (since they are the daddy of these)

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭

Did you anneal it first? With my best Sling Blade speak.

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I should not have to anneal factory fresh brass, it should be ready to go. It is wise to size even new brass but the annealing process should be reserved for the third to fourth firing. :-)

The last batch of Hornaday brass I have that is unfired NEW is measuring .035 too long from SAMMI specs. It burns my behind to have to trim and check every case before loading at the current prices of brass. It should be good to go from the cardboard "bag" it comes in.

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022

good stuff!!

Or lapua or norma, or if you can find it.....Nosler!

As far as commercial stuff, Winchester seems to me to have the better primer pocket life and greater internal capacity.

• kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭

I personally have always had terrible luck with reloading Hornady Brass. It always seems way to hard/brittle and is a pain to trim.

No I'm digging just on Hornady...I love their bullets (especially the interlock!). Just not their brass. I stick to Lake City, Winchester, etc.

• Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

Yes, about they use the LOT numbers as a OUT. they count on you not having the LOT NUMBER.

But I had the LOT number when Hodgdon's asked for such about batch of BAD POWDER.

Powder stabilizer went bad and the powder would eat holes in brass hulls and corrode copper and render primers duds.

They clamed up and quit talking.

Also in your case the LOT number should not matter, their name is on the brass as the DADDY.

Your experience adds new meaning to the term , Treated worse than a * stepchild at a family re-union.