In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Americans More Than Ever Can’t Afford to Pay Their Electric Bill

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

Soon Having electricity provided to you will become a human right along with housing,medical care,child daycare,transportation,free education and Welfare checks with free food. The next question who is going to pay for it all? Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders with The Democrats have a plan for it no doubt.

serf

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2022-08-25/more-americans-than-ever-can-t-afford-to-pay-their-electric-bill

US electricity prices surging and more people than ever are struggling to pay the power company. More than 20 million American households have fallen behind on their utility bills, about 1 of every 6 homes, and the amount they owe has doubled since before the pandemic. 

With more people owing more money, utilities are getting more aggressive about cutting off delinquent customers. Many states imposed shutoff moratoriums during the pandemic, but those policies wound down just as record inflation made power – and almost everything else — more costly. 

That’s going to trigger a “tsunami of shutoffs,” Jean Su, a senior attorney at the Center for Biological Diversity, told Bloomberg News for a story I co-wrote this week on the coming crisis. 

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Section 8 housing... Food Stamps, free electricity, What possibly could go wrong

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭

Have no fear, Joe Biden and the DEMOCRATs will bring about another massive vote buying program where the federal government will pay utility bills in exchange for votes.

• mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭✭

They should go back to giving out free liquor at the polls, it was MUCH cheaper!

• tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭✭

I still pay a lot of bills by check, including the electric bill.

A couple months ago, I guess the bill got lost in the shuffle and I was late paying it by two weeks.

No big deal, right? It happens. I guess the article is correct and it's happening with increasing frequency.

Because in that two weeks, I received a disconnect notice. Two weeks late!

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

in mich here dte wants an 8% increSE

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭

Possible solutions:

Turn off the AC. If humans can't survive in a normal climate maybe there's some sort of problem.

Limit the amount of hot water used(if you have an electric WH). It doesn't take a 20 minute steam bath shower to get clean.

Turn off the lights when not needed. Pretty simple.

I know several folks/families (dead beats all the way) who don't pay for their utilities (maybe NEVER have) they sponge off gov't programs, church 'aid money', and/or simply beg/steal from the utility. I have no qualms about simply shutting them off. Too bad-so sad, you should have worked and made an effort to pay your bills.

• chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

So let's shut down the last remaining coal fired power plants. That'll help soaring electrical costs. In the meantime, we can send all of our cheap coal to China to help their growing economy.

But wait, Dementia Joe is going to give you a 30% tax credit if you install solar panels. In the New Green Utopia of the US it is all going to be rainbows and unicorns. The really sad thing is, that there is a percentage of people in this country that actually feel that this destructive clown is doing a good job.

• serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

Europe is going to bow down to RUSSIA over energy costs too and there is not enough money or energy to supply them either without Russian help. Americans are going to see 15 -20 dollars for 1000 cubit feet also this winter. In England it's going to be 80 dollars for N.G for 1000 cubic feet.

serf

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Those not paying are the problem, not the prices. Many of them have the latest Iphone with the biggest data plan, fancy painted finger and toe nails, every pay TV channel available HBO, Netflix and the like, new clothes for each season, eating lunch out everyday and dinner three times a week plus a new fancy car with the payments and insurance costing lots of money I do not feel sorry for them.

If they are the working poor there are many programs like Ohio's HEAP that sets a fixed amout they must pay monthly. The others can turn off lights when they leave the room, set the thermo to 78 during the day and manage money better. The priority in life should be paying for the roof over your head, that includes electric and gas. Food, especially for kids is vital but buying pre-made Tyson fried chicken in the frozen isle is stupid. Buy a whole chicken, cut it up and get two meals at half the cost of the frozen junk.

My highest bill this summer was $175.00 last month it was $125. I have the thermo set at 75 and never touch it during the summer. I planned for those expenses and paid the bill when I got it.

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭

I don't use or even have AC. I lived 70 years w/o AC so why would I 'need' it now?

I use all low energy light bulbs and only those I 'need'. Right now it's still dark. I'm internetting by the light of 0.5 watt LED light bar.

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭

Still waiting for my California Gas Stimulus. So I reckon I'll be waiting for that, too. The "checks" in the mail. Yeah right.

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

I dealt with those morons for yrs in rental properties. Never had any money to pay rent but had internet bill and phone bills that were crazy. I would watch the tags.. red ..shut off.. green.. just about ready to shut off... and gray.. bills paid on the homes for electric. When a green one appeared , get ready to file an eviction.. tenants didn't pay the bill .. I am next.