In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Okay, you Entomologist’s ,,,,,,,

forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭

What’s this ,,,,,,,

Comments

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,311 ******

An ugly lil' bugger!

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,817 ✭✭✭✭

Why do you ask, is it bugging you ???😂

• forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭

Found it ,,,,,,

Bald Faced Hornet.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Yep. bald face hornet

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

It is mean, it hurts real bad when you disturb it. It builds a paper nest in the most inconvenient places. The lowly bald faced hornet with a stinger you do not want to experience.

• bitlockerbitlocker Member Posts: 299 ✭✭

I found a 3" - 4" solid matt red wasp dead in a parking lot and didn't get a photo. Only one iv ever seen

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭

If it flies and has a stinger I have probably been stung by one working HVAC for 40 years.

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭

Those buggers have about the most painful sting of anything I've ever been zapped by. One of 'em got me on my right elbow about 20 years ago and it swelled up and locked. DAMN! Took almost a week to feel normal again.

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

Mean buggers you need a can of hairspray and a lighter

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

A squirt of 'brake kleen' makes them lie down and go to sleep (forever).

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

Looks like a bald faced hornet to me. Nasty hornets.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******

I consider these to be the worst of all bees. Them buggers have vengeance programmed into their make-up! Once had one chase me a quarter mile and nailed me 3 times on the back of my neck. I had thrown a makeshift spear through their hive that was hanging from a horse stable's window opening. I made the shot from the seat of my bicycle as I was peddling away at a fairly fast speed.

Got all the way to the corner when I stopped, thinking I was safe. NOPE!!!!😣

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Can we send a bus load of those to Martha Vineyards.

• asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭

I got hit in the face by one.

Got in behind the right lens of my glasses and stung me twice right below my lower eyelid. I don't think my own mother would have recognized me.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭

but they can't be near as bad as those nasty "murder hornets" we have been warned about..........

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭

I was stung just above the ear by what we call Japanese hornets.They look like a yellow jacket almost the size of your thumb.For about 3 days after the sting it felt like a pair of vice grips clamped on the side of my head.

• 62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭

You guys be careful out there!!!

Doctors will tell ya that as "we" age, our body chemistry changes.........and can possibly leave us vulnerable, with us none the wiser.

I.E..........one sting.......in the wrong place......at the wrong time(years on the odometer).......can KILL ya!!!!! (I've a few friends that have an EPI pen in the refrigerator)

Just a friendly fair warning.

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭

I only do HVAC part time with a friend who owns a company.......but MAN...........those wasps love to nest in AC equipment. Wasp/Hornet spray is a staple on the truck.

• OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

I've got a big Bald Faced Hornets nest about size of a basketball.

Got the nest on a cold day in the winter time when all was cold and inside. I sprayed wasp killer in the trash bag and place it inside a chest freezer for couple months took it out and more wasp spray, let it dry then clear coated and dug few of the Hornets out of the nest and stuck them in the clear coat . I've heard of people getting a nest during the winter thinking it's abondoned, place it in vec or house and as it warm they come out and are very mad. When they get after you, they usually do not give up and seems they try to get you right between the eyes.

Had a guy call me one day after he seen my big Bald Faced Hornets nest and wanted me to help him get one he had found. I told him it was not cold enough, call someone else. He did and called me couple days later with a report that them Hornets had both of them pinned down in the woods for over 3 hours. Said they were laying flat on the ground in leaves and the Hornets zipping/zinging by overhead looking for meat.

He said that duck tape they used will not stick to the nest and seal up their entrance/exit hole while they were sawing off the limb that held the nest, the tape fell off and the nest starting humming and vibrating.. He said they ran little ways and dove in a big leaf pile and laid still, trying to hold their breath.

I told him he learned something that day.

I told him he might consider going back when weather little colder. He said he no longer wanted a nest.

They were quite common in my neck of the woods few years ago, but not so much now days.

Squirrel will usually tear up the nest eventually.

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

We don't seem to have the worst variants of stinging insects here, so your mileage may vary. What I have found in my over half-century on this planet is that very few like to fly in the dark. If you don't live near well lit areas, go out after dark and knock their nest down and crush it when they fall with it. We knock down paper wasp, hornets, mud dobbers, etc. in this way after dark and I have never been stung this way. We knock it down and leave. Give it a few minutes, and shine the light on it to find the spot, then we go walk right over to it and stomp it flat. In day time, I have been stung just being within 30 feet of their nest.

Another funny story unrelated to that, when I was a kid my dad had cut this hay field. A day or so later I went over and raked it. I noticed I had stirred up some type of wasps or hornets but I just put the throttle down and sped on out and wasn't bothered. However, when I was running the big round baler, I got tagged. But, I found their nest and put a bale on the opening. LOL We were not bothered the rest of the field as we finished it up. However, no one mentioned to our hired hand the reason that one bale was out in the middle of the field. He got tagged a few times when he went to get that last bale. Sorry Bob.

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭

Just this summer I noticed a nest being built on the backside of our farm house on the garage which has a low roof. It was on the soffit and about the size of a softball. I have an H&R 929 that is nearly a smoothbore from shooting nothing but rat shot for 40 years so I loaded her up and hoped I wouldn't get stung. When I got close I ran in quick and blasted it from about 2-3 feet. It looked like a bomb had gone off in it. I wish I could have gotten it on video; I was very impressed. They never rebuilt, either.

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭

Entomology lesson my friend. Hornets are not bees, they are wasps. Big wasps. Paper wasps, mud daubers, yellow jackets and a lot of solitary wasps like tarantula hawks, cicada killers and horn tails are all wasps. Wasps can sting multiple times and do not die. Bees for the most part have one shot, and stinging rips the stinger and venom duct and sac out of their bodies and they die. The critical part with eusocial wasps is that when they sting they also spray a pheromone that says to the rest of the colony, "ENEMY STING HERE!" If stung, beat feet. There are wasps, like the German wasps, the "killer hornets" and others that can mass enough stings to kill a human. A zoo colleague in Indiana was killed by German wasps.