In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I am going to try something, wish me luck

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I was invaded and I use that word lightly by stink bugs last fall and all winter long. My hatred for them is off the charts. I can't figure out where they are getting into my home. I have several canister lights in my great room, one in the shower and one above the tub. I think they are getting in through the lights in spite of 12" of insulation wrapping each light.

Last winter after 5-7 days there would be up to 50 of them dead in my tub. I was killing them in my home until spring broke this year.

I am going to try that Press-N-Seal stuff over every can light in my home and just not use them at all. They are seldom used and I probably should not have installed them when I built the place but hind sight is 20/20.

If you have a method of keeping these disgusting critters out of your home PLEASE share it.

Comments

• mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you need to address the problem in the attic! Maybe you don't have screens on the vents? Either way, prob impossible to keep em out of the attic, but try killing them in the attic before the find their way thru the ceiling. Has to be some type of poison you can use, or hire someone to spray it

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

I feel your pain. Our yearly invasion just started last week. I believe ours are getting in through the stove exhaust fan. I need to get up on the roof and see if I can screen the opening on the stack. If it ain't one thing it's another and the honey do list just keeps getting longer. Bob

• Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭

...I'd seal the lights, then set off 2x the number called for of those "bug bombs"...

• notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

I get them here just as bad as you apparently. They cover the outside walls of our house. And how they get inside I don't know. I set off a bug bomb on our sun porch and it worked for a year. Meaning everything that got in there died for a year. Kinda made me a little nervous. There's a door that separates the sun porch from the house but I'm in there alot. They'd get in our bedroom too and we set up a trap with a throw away lasagna pan with a few inches of water with a reading light above shining down on it. That works well but then there's the dead bugs in a pan of water to deal with. There's all sorts of things on YouTube about stink bugs but I'd have to spend all day long messing at it for the amount we get.

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭

Stink bugs usually come out of a nearby garden, did you have a garden near your house ?

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

I vote for using the bombs in the attic above the lights, we get the scorpions coming in around the doors this time of year and it is always a battle to keep them out, but so far this year, I'm loosing the battle. nothing funnier than trying to kill one with out getting stung in bare foot and under ware in the middle of the night bath room visits LOL🤣

• susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

If mothballs in the attic hasn't worked you might try soaking cotton balls in peppermint oil and throwing them throughout the attic. Most insects and critters don't like it.

• Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭

I had good luck with the "barrier" type spray around doors. Sprayed a wall of my shop between the man door and the first window where they congregated the previous year.

A few days later wall was covered with dead bugs.😎

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭

sounds like they are seeing you naked in the tub and dying, Bruce you might try running around the house and yard naked for a few minutes...............

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭

I'd be for checking the attic space ventilation system first, otherwise you're just gonna wind up with an attic full of bugs. They're seeking warmth and are real good at finding it!

• forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭

Your missing out on a ‘gourmet’ treat ,,,,,,,,

Stink Bugs are used in various Thai foods for their unusual scent. They are also barbecued and eaten whole, they are marinated in salt, garlic and sugar and then barbecued until crispy. Sometimes they are wrapped in banana leaves for extra flavour.aroma.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

Quote: "I'm going to try something, wish me luck"

You were supposed to say "Hold my beer" before attempting to do anything after making this statement Bruce!

I sure hope you are successful!

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

Have you tried moving?

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭

Better be careful with those "Thai girls"............they might be fakes.

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭

I think I read that those are not our native stinkbugs but got here someway from the orient. They still look like a Citroen DS.

• bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭

An exterminator may be something you would want to consider.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

hi, Bruce.

Here in Colorado we have bugs a bit similar coming from elm trees. Cut the trees, they go away.

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭

Many years ago, we found out they came through the windows counterweight rope holes in a house we lived in at the time. We had them horribly that year. A couple years later we had lady bugs the same place. We finally figured out where they were getting in behind the siding and got it blocked. We moved a few years later though.

If you only ever are going to use LED's in your can lights, you can get the insulative seal kit or just use the aluminized tape and seal up all openings. This can be done from the bottom if needed. I would not recommend this if you are still using incandescent and maybe not even if using CCFL's as they put out a lot more heat which will get trapped in the cans. When we bought our current place a dozen years ago, we removed all the existing can lights and replaced with the sealed type for similar reasons.

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.