In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Just back from my 45th Class reunion...

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2022 in General Discussion

One of the good (few) things about getting old is seeing old friends and spending time catching up. I went to the Football game on Friday night at the same field I played on all those years ago. They inducted three of my old football coaches, my wrestling coach and track coach into the newly established Eureka Hight School Hall of fame. I had the opportunity to speak with 3 of the four that were still living.

It was a great game, the team is state ranked. There was a tent set up for our class up on the hill were we could see the game and talk. Old team mates, old girlfriends, ladies I had taken to dances and just good friends that I only see in person every five year were there.

After the game, a group of us were invited over to a house where I spent a lot of time as a kid. We sat at their outside bar area and talked into the early morning hours about the past, the present and everything in between.

The next day, we had a big brunch with family members who still reside in the area and caught up. Moved on to my Neice/Nephew's new house and spent time with my old football coach who is my Neice's Father in law. He is now legally blind and lives with them... He is great man, that made you want to do your best on the field and in the classroom. We had one of those moments in time to talk and express our respect and how much our friendship over the years meant to us. At the end we were just two teary eyed old guys hugging.

Moved on to the dinner/reception that night. My old track coach was speaker. He was also the Driver Ed instructor and had all of us for students.... He told stories on a lot of us, and it was a great night. There were some classmate there I have not seen since graduation !! Great time, great food and great memories. It was another late evening. We have lost 17 of our 126 classmate and the vow we all took was "See you in five years....Make sure you are not on that other list"

We spent Sunday with family at a car show put on by the car club my brother has been in for over 40 years. 153 cars as well as several motorcycles.... Got home last night late and and crashed out hard !

So I hope you all will forgive the long ramble, this weekend would easily be in one of the top 5 weekends of my lifetime....

I would post a pic, but who wants to see a bunch of old fuds in one spot !

Comments

• Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like you had a good time!

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin

Wow, I'll bet that was a wonderful time!

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,817 ✭✭✭✭
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

I forgot to mention, I can't figure out how they all got so old......I look as good as I did back then. Well Ok, but at least I still have most of my hair and it is not completely white yet...🙄

Right there with you. And the baddest toughest guy from our team is now the fattest, baldest guy

• susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Yep always entertaining to see how some have changed and some not at all.

edited September 2022

So true.....this one was fun. No one has anything to try and prove anymore (well most of us have grown past all that) ....we are all older, some with lots of miles on us and others who are basically the same as they were at graduation...

I enjoyed speaking with folks. When the smiles or that twinkle in their eyes was there you knew they were the same as they were all those years ago, just in a modified package !!

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

We're going to my 50th next weekend. First one I've been to. My best friends in school were a year behind me.

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

50th coming up June.

My 40th was last year.. I am like you I had more friends in the grade behind me than my own grade.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you had a good time. My 50th is coming up next year. Early this year I ran into a classmate I hadn't seen in 30 years and she mentioned how the 50th was coming up. She made some very strong hints about me organizing it but I politely turned her down. I am not even sure I want to attend let alone organize it. Some of my very close classmates have passed away and I am afraid going to the reunion would just open some wounds that I'd rather leave untouched. Bob

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

A DP! Dang it, I haven't done that in a while, sorry. Bob

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

sounds like you had a great time . glad you got to see and talk with all the class mates

congrats and hope you get to enjoy many more

my 50th will be 2025 I have never been to one of ours, I was going to make a effort on the 45th but the covid BS took it out

I have always found it a bit odd we had a huge class and I still live with in about 12 miles of the town but I have seen maybe a handful of class mates over the years .

OK 1st time I ever did a search on my class , your post kicked me in the pants to look up my old class , I will have to do some more looking and sign up but noticed 47 have passed on .

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Mine and my wifes 50th class renuinon was last Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. She would have no part of it.

Our 50th wedding anniversary is this Friday the 23rd, not much fun as she lost her dad on the 22nd about 4 years ago. Won't let go of the loss.

• Brian98579Brian98579 Member Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

It's so refreshing to read a class reunion thread where no one has (so far), said “I wouldn't go to one! I didn't like those sob's anyway, and they didn't like me!” This seems to be the rule. I'm 82 and have attended every one I could, and have enjoyed every one. In high school, I was on the lower economic and social level. There were a lot of people who looked down on me, and a lot of those I didn't like.

We usually have a reunion every 5 years. At one , I sat at a table with the ultra-successful, a mullti-millionaire logging company owner from Tacoma, a lawyer from Seattle, a fashionable florist from Rancho Palos Verdes.

5 years later, I sat with a gyppo logger (and his wife) from Hoodsport, where I grew up, and a citizen/laborer from another local community, all my friends. As I recall, I enjoyed both occasions equally.

If I'm still alive and physically able, I intend to attend the 65th, next year.

• love2shootlove2shoot Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

At my 50th, those that were hot, now are not!

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,311 ******

I very happy for any of you'll that attend these things, but all my friends ( a few still are) were in the class or two ahead of me so I don't go. Thought about it a few times, but it doesn't make sense to me to go hang out with people that I haven't seen or thought about in 40 plus years...Good for you all that enjoy and kept in touch with those folks but it isn't something I care to do. Glad you had a good time Frank!

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭

My 64th was to be this year but it was cancelled. There aren't enough classmates left to have much of a reunion, perhaps enough for a wake.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen in the past they would just group several close years together or even any one who graduated before some date

To at least get enought for a small group

As for me I will be happy to even live until my 64 year since leaving school rolls up

edited September 2022

They have an alumni banquet for all graduates one night each year at my old high school. As I understand it most classes stop trying to get together after the 50th reunion so this gives all a chance to get together if they still want to or to see others near their age.

I have the same thought process as others above. I have friends/team mates etc. in classes above and below mine. I would really enjoy seeing some of them too...

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭

Well time to throw in my two cents . Went to my 30 year reunion (2003) . Those of my classmates thst were friendly nice people in high school still were . The ones who were snooty snobs had not changed. 50 year one is coming up ,doubt that I go .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • patt7638patt7638 Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

I went to my 25 reunion in 1982. I must admit I have mixed feelings about it. I have never been to another one. Thomas Wolfe was right , you can't go home again.

edited September 2022

“But why had he always felt so strongly the magnetic pull of home, why had he thought so much about it and remembered it with such blazing accuracy, if it did not matter, and if this little town, and the immortal hills around it, was not the only home he had on earth? He did not know. All that he knew was that the years flow by like water, and that one day men come home again.”

I like this quote from the book too..

• patt7638patt7638 Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

I must admit that home has a magnetic pull.

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

I had a HS class of over 600 and am still friends with only two from my class. I only ever see one of them still and him not even all that often. I had acquaintances in my school, but not friends, it seems. And so reunions are pretty much a moot question for me. I'm not missed if I don't go, and not even remembered if I do.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain