In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I appreciate everyone here

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2022 in General Discussion

I don't post often but I swing in on my phone around 5-10 times a day. When it was more vibrant things changed more but often, 1 day would fill up 2 pages but all the switches were tough on membership.

BTW, here's my new (to me) tractor. I know many here have liked my farming or tractor post's on the past so I thought I share.

I am overstocked with gun swag right now as well so I'll have a giveaway this week also.

Comments

• shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭✭

I know some here like farming/tractor pics so that's why I posted the picture.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

nice . congrats on the new purchase , what I know about tractors would fit on a match book LOL

we live in the country ( by city standard's ) surrounded by farms . amazing the size of the equipment they use and OMG the cost is just as huge 😲 but have to pay to play .

we have a old 9n ford we mow grass and plow snow and plow up a small garden spot now and then with it

every time I use it I think in its day it was on top of the game for farming now its funny to see it next to any modern tractor or combine it looks like a toy . 😁

my youngest son one of his best buddies from school his family owns several + farms and keep buying more . I think their at least 4th generation family farmers they crop and also have dairy cows . they have invested I would guess millions over the last ten years more land more equipment more modern barns and grain handling .

my son use to help them regularly in the fields and at the dairy barns , starting back when he was in high school but his job and family life changed that . I am sure if they ask I know he would do what he could though to help

there all good people for sure as the other farmers around us .

my farming experience was 45 years ago I had a GF whos family ( parents, uncles grand parents well really about every one both sides of her family owned a farm ) I helped a little here and there enough to know its was / is is a demanding life style and hard work .

It would probably be many millions over 10 years, especially if they bought land. New 4 wheel drive tractors nowadays are $500,00-700,00. Combines are like $800,000. I got a good deal on that mx305, auction sale buy for $75k. Equipment prices are crazy now.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

The new combine they neighbors just bought per my son pal telling him was just under 1 million like 995,000 or so

But I hear it's impressive but the dealer told them they would have to buy a bigger tractor for one of the imements they bought a few years back

Honest I thought the tractors they had one articulated on tracks was as big as they got but iguessed wrong

The grain wagon is on tracks its a monster

They also build several huge silos and grain handing equipment

There working on deal about a mile south on a farm they bought a few years back to set up a solar farm on part of it

Not a lot of happy people on that project

It's the next county South the roads the dividing line about a mile maybe less from us and there original home place

I am happy for them but it's a 24/7 operation

There Grandpa and grand maw still help they have to be pushing 90 yrs but I think all the farm work keeps them going

Well I'm getting in over my head like I said I know little about farming but glad we have farmers . Becoming rare are the small mom and pop farms no way to compete

I have worked with many part time farmers over the years they loved the farm and most all inhearted there place but needed a 40 hr job to make a go of it

One last thing about all the posters on here I have been on here 22 yrs or so

The people on here are helpful and I have learned a lot

So many the people who are experts in ther fields and covering such a wide range of experience every one sharing there knowledge with the rest of us

I think as for me I fit the classic jack of all trades master of none lol

But have never feared jumping in on any project

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin

Nice looking tractor, and sounds like you got a real deal on it. How old is it? Hours on the meter?

• redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

back when I was a kid a 70 or 80 hp tractor was pretty much the normal size, 3 maybe a 4 bottom plow

I watch a few different farms on you tube , Do you have any thing on Utube ? IF so got a link ?

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭

As a former winner of a swag pack, I can attest anything you giveaway will be very generous!

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭

Shootyuadeal , is it field / owner repairable or is it a locked dealer only machine ? Around here , eastern nc , pre lockout machines bring 1&1/2 to 2 times their original selling price,if in good condition . Sure beats the 165 massy Ferguson I grew up on .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭

Spent two harvests on a John Deere self leveling harvester (combine to you city folk) in the late 70s. No cab, just a sunshade.

$ 100.00 a day plus room and board was pretty heady for a kid of 18 years old.

Worked on farms, bucking bales, moving irrigation pipes, spring planting and harvest from the age of 12 through age of 20. Great memories, and a great way to grow up.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Only time I've spent in Red machines was running combine, but have spent many thousands of hours in big green. It's just crazy how much they have changed over the years. I also remember how impressed I was when I first saw a bid finisher.

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,311 ******

Nice tractor sir, makes my two JDs look like toys...

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭

That looks bigger than the Ford 2N I grew up with ,,LOL

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******

That looks really nice, congrats

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******

Really cool tractor shootuadeal! Living in a farming community myself that is made up of 98% Amish. I would sure enjoy just driving a rig like yours down the dirt roads around here!

It would sure get a lot of attention! 😁

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Grew up using an Allis WD 45 and a 2 bottom plow... Great buy on the tractor.

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

Nice tractor......my little 1955 Ford 640 would be afraid to be near it !

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭

I've still got the Allis Chalmers "C" that came to the farm in 1948. When Dad got the John Deere 2010 in 1962, he was on top of the world! "I can go out after supper and do the plowing!"

• gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice tractor. To big for the bar gaps we had on my dads farm. Have you got it stuck yet?

No, haven't even had it in the field yet.

I haven't even had a tractor stuck since about 3 years ago we had a very miserable start to the year. It was very wet, the ground was like soup. Here was the worse, my STX500 got stuck, then my brothers track tractor got stuck, then a 3rd wheeled tractor stuck, in all we had 3 tractors chained together all stuck.

We had a wet start this year too but the ground was much firmer, could drive right up to the water edges and not sink in.

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

That wasn't good Lance. I've been around situations like that, things can go from bad to worse real quick, and a lot of expensive stuff gets broken....

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭

I sunk my first backhoe up to the frame. Luckily it could lift itself up & I could get wooden cribbing under the wheels. Then move it a few feet & move the cribbing, repeat, repeat....

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭

i had to leave a set of breaking plows in the field for about 6 months till it dried out enough to retrieve them

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,616 ✭✭✭✭

That is a lot of money for sure! We have talked about getting a tractor for several years, but its cheaper for us to just hire someone to do the things we need done since its just bush-hog work, digging a hole here and there or disposing of some trees. I'd probably kill myself on a tractor if I actually tried to do any real work on it.

When we first got married Larry was pulling a log out of the woods on his father's tractor and it came back over on him. He was lucky for sure that it didn't do worse.....but it did leave some marks across his chest. Every time he talks about getting one I remember coming to the ER.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭

Nice tractor for a red one. I am in a farming community so they are pretty common. We bought a 4010 Diesel in 1961 and at that time it was the largest tractor around. It would pull 5-16s and that was also the largest plow in the area.

Brookwood mentioned the Amish; 10 years ago the first one entered this area and today I counted 24 buggies go by. Way more than cars. When they average 10 kids per family it soon starts to add up. At least they don't seem to mind gunfire from time to time, but I try not to shoot until they have gone by so as not to * the horses.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******

Around here you have to get up pretty early in the morning to get ahead of the Amish, who are doing most of the shooting! 😁