In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun Show Bargain

grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭✭

I went to a local gun show yesterday, and actually found a bargain! A man had a table full of mostly reloading equipment, and sitting there was a brand new in the box set of Steiner 8X30 Military binoculars, the kind that are focused from 20 yards to infinity, rubber armored, and priced at $50.00! I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough! I gave my SIL a set last year for him to take elk hunting that I paid $270.00 for.

I went to my friend's table and checked them out. Promptly turned down a $150.00 offer from the guy at the next table. I guess the seller didn't know what he had there.

On the other hand, I paid $100.00 for 2 boxes of Remington 140 gr 280 ammo. They were the only boxes of 280 Rem ammo in the place, but if I'm going to hunt with my M700, I need them.

Comments

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,974 ******

Great score on the binocs, wtg.

• grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭✭
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭

Nice score! Haven’t been to a gun show in years. After the ammo shortage there was no point trying to find cheap ammo there as it didn’t exist. And after our dumb State did away with being able to use our carry permit to bypass the waiting period I figured it was just going to now cost me more to have to pay the transfer fee at a local place if there were any that would even do it as most of the sellers were from out of town. The last deal I got was a S&W K38 from 1952 for $225 a couple years before the ending of the permit rule.

• AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭✭

""On the other hand, I paid $100.00 for 2 boxes of Remington 140 gr 280 ammo. They were the only boxes of 280 Rem ammo in the place, but if I'm going to hunt with my M700, I need them.""

You did alright - on the auction side it's around $2.50 --- $3.00 per round plus $14 --- $18 for shipping for two boxes and some at much higher prices.

Best Regards - AQH

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭

Other than the Wannamacher show in Tulsa twice a year, most around here are aptly named 'gun shows' as there is nothing there priced to sell. I realize the dealers need to make a living too, but come on... That, and the fact that ~60-75% of any given show is non gun related anyway it just isn't worth the price of admission.

I understand the military memorabilia, and things that while not directly guns or ammo, are often of great interest. I even understand knives, boots, and hunting clothes to a point.

I don't understand stuffed dolls, all the cheap trinket junk you expect to win as a prize at a fair, etc.

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭

I gave a guy I worked with,that wanted to get into reloading a Lee single stage press.The next day he gave me a pair of Fujinon binoculars that came off a decommissioned Coast Guard boat. Best glass I have ever used.