In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I can't see!

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Worth a tinkers dang out of my right eye. Stage 2 cataract is being chopped out next Thursday. Can anybody tell me what to expect from my vision after they do the surgery?

Comments

• mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭✭

Everyone is different. In general, you will have blurry vision for a few weeks afterwards. Make SURE to use the drops as the prescribe them, and wear the patch if they tell you too! Most people have good results after about 2-3 weeks. Some people don't need glasses afterwards, both my in laws still needed glasses, but a diff prescription and can see way better.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭

DR George did mine Bruce in Belpre, I was laying on the table and he said " it is gonna get dark" and he cut/pulled out the old lense. In just minute or so he said it is gonna get bright, and he put the new lense in, when he got it opened up I was staring at the ceiling and I could see the holes/pattern in the ceiling tile, I think I was 20/20 or at worst 20/30 the next morning on the followup. But as others have said do the drops and stay away from lifting for week or so. worst part for me was the 2 weeks between surgeries on the eyes. I had perfect vision in the replaced eye, but the one still waiting on surgery was bad. If I wore glasses the good eye was blurry, and no glasses bad eye blurry. I wore a patch under my glasses most time and looked out the bad eye at work, as the new one was 20/20 but from arms lenth in I needed readers, and it was easier to use my old glasses and bad eye.

You will wonder why you waited so long once it is all said and done, It is the first time in over 50 years I don't need glasses for daily living, only store bought readers for up close vision. Good luck hope all goes well.

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭✭

Have had both eyes done ,most recent was left eye in March of this year . Only need glasses for reading . Little discomfort for about a week but that soon cleared up. . Just follow your surgeon instructions to n a tee and it will be smooth sailing

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******

You're going to be amazed. Good luck,best wishes

• wetnapwetnap Member Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

I wore glasses my entire life. I couldn’t see without them. I had cataract surgery 3 years ago. I now need glasses for reading only. I now see things that I couldn’t see even when I wore glasses. It was the best thing I ever did. I had clouded vision right after surgery but in about a week it cleared up. I also had narrow angle glaucoma but the surgery fixed that.

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭

I've got no advice for ya, Bruce, but I'll float up a prayer or two for you and the doc.

• patt7638patt7638 Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

You are about to undergo the most successful medical procedure that has ever come down the pike.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,454 ✭✭✭✭

you will be fine , so many people I know or ther family members came out with fantastic eye sight a few had to use readers after the fact but not full time glasses,

as for me same old story I developed fast growing cataracts with in just a couple months my eyes went down hill fast I would not even drive I was worried I would hurt some one ( I already had the procedure and doctor set up ) but my eyes went fast the doc told me what I had normally happens to a lot younger people not a old booger like me

I had high hopes of getting better vision like my co workers and friends . but the doc told me sorry you had RK surgery, and it left a lot of scars ( back in 1994 long story and regret it ) so the doc had to work around the scars to make sure I heal up and not cause any problems but will do what he can but no way will I come out with out needing glasses 😥

and well its great to be able to see even with glasses 😀 but disappointing I did not get to throw them away

• Brian98579Brian98579 Member Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

I had both eyes done about 10 years ago. Had to choose near or far vision. I took far vision. There was no real recovery period. The most amazing thing I noticed was an immediate change in the brilliance of all colors. My tan toilet became a brilliant white. I renewed my driver license and had the "corrective lenses" restriction removed. I use readers for most computer and close up work, but for driving and watching tv I use trifocals. Far vision still needs a little correction. You won't regret it.

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭

Look at the trees and notice all that green is separate leaves

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

I had both eyes done about 4 years ago. No issues once I got past the first week or so with each. I vividly remember being outside after things had settled down and realizing the sky was a pretty blue, not a hazy blue with slight brown tint. I could see individual corn stocks and leaves not just blurred groups.

The worst thing for me was seeing my FACE really clearly for the first time in years....there was a wrinkly old man looking back at me in mirror. !!!

I needed cheater glasses for reading before the procedure, but after my vision went back to 20/20. There has been a slight drop since then, but for the most part I can still read without them..

AS mentioned above, do what the Doctor tells you to do and do it exactly. My buddy's father did not follow the Doc's orders and was out cutting hay and lifting heavy object. He ended up with multiple issues for an extended period of time. The worst were infections in his eyes...

I hope it all goes well for you..

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭

Best money I ever spent. They do acquire scare tissue after maybe 15 years or so but supposedly easily removed.

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I get the pre op visit on Friday. I would love to have near 20/20 vision again. I appreciate all of your help!

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭

Bruce did things go as planned, hope you got good news.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭

If it's your first time, you'll be petrified. But the operation is truly a nothingburger.

DO follow the drops regimen exactly. If they prescribe the 3-in-1 drops, you'll have to pay for them, and they run almost $100. But that's simpler than having to do three separate drops a few minutes apart every time. You'll have to wear a metal shield at night to keep from putting pressure on that eye. Again, no biggie.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Best surgery/$$ I ever spent. The surgery itself was nothing at all to undergo. (As said above, " a Nothingburger.")

I went from really shouldn't be driving to right at 20/20. Use (as mentioned) glasses for reading only. Should have done it years ago. My vision was phenomenal pretty much as soon as they removed the patch on the day after follow up visit. I was astounded.

Each eye done seperatly about a month or so apart. I had very bad cataracts, astigmatism and lot's of floaters. Had cataracts removed, astigmatism corrected and new lenses installed. Easy, peesie. 👍