In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Laminated stock checkering

OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Anyone besides me ever notice how bad the factory checkering looks on some Laminated rifle stocks???

If the checkering looked that bad on a solid wood stock it would/should get a Quality Control reject from the factory.

I've noticed this on rifles actions that are at the upper end of the price range that the factory should be proud to offer but their FACTORY CHECKERED laminated stock just ruins it for me.

Comments

• OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

That is what I've noticed about cut checkering on laminated stocks. (like trying to checker plywood) only worse because as the laminate layers change direct so does the direction and density of the wood grain and the diamonds are not sharp and even and several diamonds broken off/not even from one line to the next and some sections of the checkering just plain pitiful and sometimes the lines even vary in width. They try to hide such by trying to keep the checkering dark on some stocks.

Really a shame and disguating when I see a really nice bolt action receiver setting inside a pitiful looking FACTORY CUT laminated checking job and the price as high or higher than the same receiver in a nice Walnut checkerd stock.

I do not pay a new price for such. Makes me wonder about their lack of Quality control.

What else might be wrong that I'm not noticing.

Appears maybe I just notice too much detail nowdays, but I do appreciate fine workmanship on a firearm.

I also do not care for the looks of Laser checkering on a hunting rifle.

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭

I remember seeing RemLin just "pressing" the checkering. Now I understand why they didn't cut the stocks like they did with my Marlin 1895GS. I thought it was to save time by pressing the checkering. Kinda wonder about the RugLin.

Now I understand why they didn't cut the stocks like they did with my Marlin 1895GS. 

I thought it was to save time by pressing the checkering

Can you elaborate or explain?

I thought pressed checkering was to save time also. (????)

about the Remlin (Remington/Ruger)

and what you are thinking about the new Ruglin (Ruger/Marlin)

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Wonder how the laser checkering would work, remembering seeing that on some early model Weatherby's...

Bobjudy wrote this and I agree about the looks Laser checkering.

I have noticed laser checkering on laminated stocks, but I don't care much for it. Bob

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I recently purchased a Henry Steel Side Gate Carbine in .44mag.

It has the nicest (and most griptile) checkering of any of my firearms. It is very well done.

I am not a fan of "pressed," checkering.

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭

Okie  - Haven't seen the RugLin so I don't know. But what I remember RemLin's press checkering it was bad.

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

If you mean the "Lazermark" to me they were beautiful pieces to me. Course I "had" one just cause to examine it on cold nights in the house.

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭

All of Henrys guns are lazer checkered.

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

That may be the case, but I find it Interesting that you say that. I just got off the phone with Henry Firearms (Customer Service/Technical Support.) I told them what I owned and the online Firearms forum discussion underway, talking about quality of checkering and your claim. (I made the statement, that their checkering was Superb.) They state that "exactly how their checkering is done is proprietary information, not released outside the Co." (Even to Henry Firearms Owners.)

Curious how you know this? 🤔

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭

They used press checkering even during the original JM stamped Marlin's era. Depending on the gun, I find it has a place, though I agree it doesn't look quite as nice. I have a mint pair of "Deluxe Camp Carbines" in 9mm and .45 that have press checkering. For a quick handling, short little carbine, I like it not being overly "grippy". But, for a dangerous game rifle or any type of offensive weapon, I tend to opt for the other extreme generally.

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.