In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

was flipping channels the other night.........

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2022 in General Discussion

and came across live coverage of NASA, Dart project, landing on an asteroid. Some type of experiment to change the direction of it or some such. I couldn't watch the interviews as each person just kept saying how exciting it was and isn't this great, but never really got any information I could understand. Like did it change the course of the asteroid?, and if so by how much? and is that as much as was planned when they launced?

I figured Rocky would have posted about this by now, I am still wondering did it move the asteroids path enough to have made a difference, or in laymans terms did it work?

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

I have been following this for the last couple of weeks. The Dart didn't actually land on the asteroid unless you consider crashing into it at 14,000 mph landing.😊 The dart weighed about 1200 lbs so that must have been a heck of a lot of energy transmitted to the asteroid in an attempt to change its trajectory. It would only take a small change in the speed of an asteroid coming at the earth to make it miss. I haven't heard the results of the test yet but they said it could take a couple of weeks to determine what if any results were obtained. Bob

• grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭

As I understand it, if it changed the trajectory even a fraction of a degree at that distance it would miss earth by millions of miles.

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭

It's a bunch of pablum to make the masses think that the authorities are tackling the issue. NASA faked it all just like they faked the moon landings in 69...............................keep the peons pacified and make them think there is a solution for an extinction event that is looming on the horizon......................

GREEN FONT ON

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭

If Bruce Willis wasn't on it it never happened

• 62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022

I'm fairly certain that the 14,000 mph was the closing velocity of the two objects.

I do wonder, though, what frame-of-reference is used when determining the velocities of normal deep space probes...........considering that the earth spins at about 1000 mph(edit:at the equator), and orbits the Sun at about 66,000 mph.

And the Sun orbits the Milky Way.......etc.....it boggles the mind.....or at least mine.

I guess a "dogpile" search is in order.🤔

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭

Velocity, or speed, is only relative to something else. As I sit here typing, I could say I am not moving. But that is only relative to my location on this planet. Actually, I am moving at something like 750MPH due to my location on the surface of the planet as it makes it's daily revolution. If I was at the equator, I'd be going about 1,000MPH. Did you ever wonder why NASA's big launches are in Florida instead of, say, Maine? Then there is the speed of our planet around the sun. Then the speed of our sun toward the black hole in the center of our galaxy. Truth be known, it's almost impossible to determine how fast you are moving, Fast? Relative to what?

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

Reading all this has put a song in my head that I cannot get rid of!

Darn that Carol King!! "I feel the earth move under my feet

I feel the sky tumbling down..........

Thanks guys!

Check this one out. A song by the guitarist from Queen, Brian May, who went on to get a PhD in Astrophysics. He wrote this as a tribute to the New Horizons space probe in 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3Jm5POCAj8

Talking about space..............this is a great song from back in the day.........all about aliens. It will thoroughly take a home stereo through its paces..........I understand it was used back in the day to demonstrate fidelity and range of stereo systems.

I bet some off you fellows remember it.

Billie Thorpe..........."Children of the Sun"..........1979

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3Jm5POCAj8

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭

That dude can wail! Been listening to him for years.

Look up East of Eden's Gate.