In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I like turtles..... PIC

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

Nice day out, high in the mid 60's and sunny. Headed out in the afternoon to the local conservation area for a nice Hobble (used to call it a hike) in the late afternoon. Saw a huge buck in the tree line, but could not get a camera on him before he was off and running. Fished one of the small impoundment and caught 7 small bass and a blue gill. Over in the corner of the lake was a downed tree. When I got there at least 10 turtles were piled up on it......By the time I got down there, just these two were left...

Comments

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Yep. I Love Turtles also. (Sign of a healthy ecosystem.)

Pulled over a year or two ago, to remove a box turtle from the road and take it back to my property. Very tight 90° turn. Had a neighbor pull around coming the other way and squashed it.

He stopped, to see what was I doing? Oh, Nothing. 🤔😒

Still bothers me.

We have a large Snapping Turtle in the pond behind my house. We tell everyone that shoots here, (backyard range) Not to shoot it. I like seeing it on the surface sunning itself.

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
  • Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭

Post turtles are my favorite.. when I see, one I always put him back on the ground. 🤪🤪

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • bs233jlbs233jl Member Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

I raised box turtles for 8 years in the back yard. They have personalities, most were friendly. Some were not. When I went to feed them usually around our supper time, they would come up to me looking for their food. Fun times for the grandkids too. Released them when an osprey started picking them up. Bummer.

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭

Western painted turtles. Good that red eared sliders have not yet made it there. When they do, they will out compete the painted turtles, which are protected in Missouri.

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭

Turtles are a' plenty on the Colorado River in Austin, TX...........kayaking near the shores you can see plenty. They all dive of the logs when you approach.

As Ken said.........they are a sign of a healthy ecosystem.

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭

I love turtles, too. I stop and pick them up when I see them in the road, and take them across the road.

Here's a little mite that I helped out the other day.

I often see those big turtles sunning themselves on rocks in the French Broad River when I take the dog for a walk. The instant those turtles see me, they dive into the river. They dive, because they saw their buddy get shot by a hillbilly.

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭

I bought my youngest son a pet turtle,that was about of a quarter,when the son was about 5 years old.He kept the turtle in an aquarium in his room and when it got the size of a baseball I tried to talk him into letting the turtle go in the river.Absolutly not.He is 29 now ,has a wife and 2 kids nice home and that same turtle that is probably bigger than a dinner plate living in a huge aquarium.

• Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭

...When my daughter was 7-8 or so, I found one of those box turtles like that one...built about a 6'x8' outdoor pen under a small tree in the backyard...buried a shallow water dish...he was in heaven...over the next few years I found 3-4 more, they joined the first one...fed 'em veggies and fruits...they REALLY liked the locust each summer...first winter I checked on 'em and they were gone, have no idea how they would have gotten out the way their little home was built...then come spring I was walking by their pen and saw the ground moving ...one of 'em was digging out! In a few days they were all walking around their pen, I had no idea they hibernate under ground!

... After 2-3 years, one day I found a little turtle that was maybe, as big as a quarter(!) in the pen...one had laid eggs and at least one hatched!!..When my daughter was about 14, I let them all go to live their little turtle lives free...I always called 'em box turtles but I think they're actually "terrapins"...a few years after my turtle experience , I think Texas made them a protective species...

• mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭

Terrapins are water turtles and are flatter in shape. Box turtles can actually pull all legs and head inside the shell and close it completely.

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭

We have box turtles and a stinkpot turtle in excess of 30 year with us. The record for box turtles is a bit over 150 years, but that is likely extremely rare. The record for stinkpot turtles (the smallest species of US turtle) is 52 years. We may have to find him a new home one day. I am unlikely to live another 22 years.

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭

Snappers are great if properly prepared.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

I am not sure why there is just some thing about a turtle . we have always stopped and moved them out of the road .

maybe because they just live there life cause little trouble and really do little damage for the most part .

I know my dad ate them as a kid but they had to eat just about everything . I have never tried or had any desire to eat one

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

I had turtle soup once at a wild game dinner....it was good but I like the little buggars....so they get a pass from me..

And help across the road when I come across one...

• chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭

I had turtle soup once at a wild game dinner....it was good but I like the little buggars....so they get a pass from me..

There is food for the soul and there is food for the body.

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
  • Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭

That is one that I would leave on the post. Maybe Trump put him there….

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭

Not a big fan of turtle soup but, I'm telling you snapper is good eating. Some 4 different flavors depending on where the meat came from. Chicken, fish, pork and whatever. The hardest part is shelling & cleaning them.

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain