In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Coyote hunting......by DAA

62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭

I've watched Dave's vids for many years. This is the first one in awhile.

The 17 Predator is one of the best 17's for yotes.

Enjoy....

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

204 Ruger out of a stock model 700 CDL might be hard to beat, 32 grain bullet at 4200 fps.

Almost always a 3 shot one holer at 100 yeads.

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022

25/06 works well 90 gr.

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

30.06 with 110 grain works for me.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭

There's a difference between coyote hunting and just shooting at coyotes. If I don't have to worry about cross winds and such, the 22/250 is king. When the wind comes up, it's more of a joker but less so than larger calibers with light for caliber bullets--those may as well have a sail stuck on them. On a windy day and given the opportunity to use a rangefinder, I'll take the 6mm or6.5 Creedmoor or similar cartridge that pushes a much more 'wind blind' bullet.

I don't use, don't own, and don't have any experience with a 17 centerfire but unless it's 5x better than a 17 rimfire, it's not worth toting.

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭

Yotes are wiley as hell! My experience is you see them after calling and then they proceed downwind to determine if their ears are really telling them the truth🤔

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022

When I retire next year I would love to go out west to hunt prairie coyotes. My next one is hunting hogs in Texas. We have a lot of coyotes in Ohio but shooting them out west seems more enticing.

• forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭

I don’t think much of coyotes,,,,,,

The rifle definitely has to have the right twist rate to stabilize the light bullets well, fo' sho!

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭

What about a 6.5x55 Swede?

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

17 rim fire is not even in the same room as a 17 center fire.

I use to shoot a 220 swift, need for speed for sure. Liked the vapor trail you see when firing.

Son shoots a 243 custom with 55 grain ballistic tips, 4200 fps hand loads over the chronograph. 1 in 14 twist.

Nothing to clean up after hitting a crow or woodchuck.

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

I usually hunt coyotes with a .223 or .22 Mag rifle. But I have shot far more with just a good old .22 LR

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******

Smoke a pack a day,,,

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

Just a question; What do ya all do with a dead 'yote?

I have only killed a couple over the years while deer hunting using a 45 caliber flintlock deer rifle. Both carcasses were just moved away from my hunting zone and left to rot or for the crows.

"Just a question; What do ya all do with a dead 'yote?"

Kick it and walk away. Okay, I might drag it out of the yard, hayfield, cropland but otherwise not worth picking up.

Long before hang it around your neck rangefinders were common, I was killing coyotes for grocery money. The primary concern was killing the coyote (hopefully with as little pelt damage as possible). I used a 22/250 and knew what the trajectory was out to 1/4 mile. With a calm wind and known range, 1/4 mile was not difficult. Add a variable wind and the percentage dropped considerably.

It's hard to get stretched string trajectory WITH wind bucking bullets w/o heavy recoil. Pick one or the other. I loaded a lot of 110 grain 30/06 ammo for the 'one gun guys'. They didn't hit much but the recoil wasn't as bad. A gust of wind mid-range would push those stubby fat bullets a foot off course @ 300 yards.

Cut the tail off and drag it under the nose of your daughter that sleeps in past 10am.

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******
    edited October 2022

@Brookwood "buzzards gotta eat, same as worms"

Some old timers around here would hang em on their perimeter fences, supposed to keep other yotes away...

Me I just leave where they die and there isn't anything left after a few days...

• 62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭

Back when I was young, my uncles and I would hang them on fenceposts. Looking back, it might have worked.

Up where Dave hunts, the yotes start getting pretty prime this time of year..........but down here in North Texas......not so much. 🙁

Unless things have changed, Dave and his pal skin out the hides. They get good money for the better ones.

One of mine......with my Sako 17PPC.😉

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

62vld2042 that looks just about the same as the last one I shot, there was a pair of em and they were running off with chickens in their mouths, the closest gun I had was a model 94 in 44 Mag, big hole in his hip about like your pic right as it was heading in to the trees, the other got away and three chickens died...

• 62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭

Ruger4me.....nope.....that's just shadows from the lower-right bush. This was a chest shot with an L.R.B. 32gr VLD solid @ 3900fps.

Reminds me......I need to finish the 17 Predator rifle, that's been on the back-burner for a few years now.

• waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve had a 17 HMR for 20 years now, and it is an excellent long range squirrel rifle. I always wondered what it would be like on a coyote, so last year I took it coyote hunting to find out. I used a 20gr soft point wanting to get the most penetration, and damage to vitals.

The shot was taken at 50yards just behind the shoulder, it was not a clean kill, more of a surface wound reaching inward. If ever I was to use it again on coyotes I would make it a head shot.

The neighbor kid has taken a few of mine away and skinned them out and tanned the hide. Generally they just get dropped off in the back of our place or out in the middle of the hayfield. I have been surprised a few times in the past going back out the next day to move them and their brethren have already made short work of them..

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

It's dog eat dog out there.

I use a 17 HMR to dispatch trapped coyotes. A single tiny hole in the pelt right behind the shoulder and the coyote dies(sooner or later). They don't run very far at all(that's a joke, they're caught in a trap).

I have no idea how many (not in a trap) I've shot with the 17 that weren't recovered.

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Even though I do not like Coyotes, the whole they die "sooner or later," rubs me the wrong way. I do not want to see ANYTHING suffer at my hands.

Clean Kill, or don't shoot. IMHO. (That's just me.)

I use and really like a .17HMR. I do however understand it's limits. Head shot, or No shot. (That's just me.) Obviously, you do as you choose.

"Clean Kill, or don't shoot. IMHO. (That's just me.)"

Are you trying to run a livestock operation in high density coyote populations??????????????????????

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

No Sir, I am not.

As an aside Sir, I know you own other Firearms/Calibers. (Right?) Why not use a Caliber that will DRT? I understand the usage in a trap, (head shot) but your "ranch gun," is a .17HMR? Not trying to provoke an argument. Just curious why you shoot one with a .17HMR and let it run off.

OK, point taken. My 'ranch gun' is either a .223 or 5.45x39 so neither is short of effectiveness. There are times when the 17 HMR is the most accessible so it is used. In addition, the suppressed 17 HMR is MUCH quieter than even a suppressed centerfire so that's a factor.

You don't quite understand the use of the 17 on trapped coyotes. In my local area, the only valuable part of a coyote is the skull so a body shot is preferred. Another reason: I don't like to just drive right up to a trapped coyote and risk having it pull out and escape so the 17 makes a good option for a ribcage shot @ 100 yards. Cheaper than centerfire and less risk of pass through.

In my experience, the 17 is NOT a DRT but a body hit probably isn't survivable and I simply don't care if I recover the carcass. This isn't sport hunting, it's protecting property in the most effective way possible.

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭

If the only valuable part of the 'yote is the skull why not use more gun for the body shot?

The last two yotes I have taken were both with .22 LR. One head shot and one heart shot. Both dropped in their tracks. I prefer to use a more powerful cartridge but if a close ethical shot presents itself, a .22 will do the job humanly and efficiently……

I like the 22LR too but 2 miles is not quite enough effective range.

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain