In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Whale tail any help ?

fitterfitter Member Posts: 12 ✭✭

Hello I have a 14 FT. jon boat with a 8 HP. mercury outboard ( 2 stroke ). My question is will a hydrofoil (whale tail ) help bring the front of the boat down? If I have some one with me the front will stay down because of low HP,but by my self moving from place to place the front will stay up. I mostly fish in the river for catfish.

Comments

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

When you said whale tail, I thought about these. Probably won't help with the catfish though.

• fitterfitter Member Posts: 12 ✭✭

If I could buy that car I probably would not be worried about catfish.😁

• mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, if you are calling a plane plate a "whale tail". It will pull the entire boat down into the water harder, assuming that you have it trimmed correctly AND that the 8hp motor actually has enough power to plane the boat. I would imagine that an 8hp is NOT enough to get the boat on plane.

• fitterfitter Member Posts: 12 ✭✭

Thanks I think I will leave it the way it is. I have never seen a motor that small with one, just thinking.

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

I don't remember if my Johnson is an 8 or 10 HP, but it would plane out with one person on board my 14 ft. aluminum. You might investigate in a different propeller. Different props , pitch or blades, give different motion results. But my boat is fairly lightweight. I think your Jonboat is probably heavier.