In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Recrown to repair Old Winchester rifle with the original contour crown

MikeFinkMikeFink Member Posts: 40
edited November 2022 in Ask the Experts

I have been looking but not finding someone or something to recrown a nice old Winchester .22, that has bout an 1/8 inch of pitting on the side of the muzzle. If I recrown, I think it would take care of my problem. Any ideas? -Mike

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

A simple crowning tool is not hard to make - look at a gunsmithing book. Brownell's sells them. Probably on YOUTUBE also. Good luck.

If you are refering to the pitting in the picture, that would require cutting that much off the barrel. If the pitting is not touching the bore at the crown I would leave it as is.

• waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭

Any good gunsmith should be able to do it. You would have to google for gunsmith your area of the country, or maybe a local gun shop would know were a good gunsmith is located. If not maybe a machine shop in your area. All that needs done is to remove barrel and receiver from the stock and maybe remove the front sight.

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

As already mentioned, if the damage is not immediately adjacent to the bore, the best choice may be to leave it alone. Crowning needs to be very accurately aligned with the bore or else accuracy can suffer badly.

• 1873man1873man Member Posts: 128 ✭✭

Mike,

Depending on how collectable your Winchester 22 is, crowing could kill its value. If it has no collector value than have at it.

NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • MikeFinkMikeFink Member Posts: 40

Thanks for the replies.-Mike