In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 40X rimfire action question

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2022 in Ask the Experts

I have a new to me ARA benchrest rifle with a Remington 40X action. It is marked "Property of the USMC serial number is 6149. Can anyone tell me when it was made?

Comments

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

It has a Shilen .900 diameter 24" SS match barrel with Harrell tuner in a beautiful benchrest stock with Jewel trigger. Now it is sporting a Sightron 36X scope but me thinks I want to put the 34MM Burris 8X40X50 XTR II I have in the safe on it.

Nope, .22LR 😀

I wonder why the U.S.M.C. would have a bench rest .22.

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
  • hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭

Go to Rimfire Central forums there is a section for Remington 40 X. They may be able to give you some info.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

Apparently Remington does not go off of serial number for these, they use the barrel code.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain

Ricci, my bad, this is a Benchrest rifle, it is built on a Remington 40X rimfire action. I know the USMC used the 40X back in the day for a training rifle. Along with the 513T Matchmaster. I was just wondering if someone might have a hankering as to when the action was born.

Without the factory barrel code, I don't know how you would date it. Who cares?? It should be a great rifle. And if you don't shoot one tiny winy little bitte hole; then it will be your fault. 😁

Shooting ARA benchrest is the most frustrating and yet most satisfying competition I have ever shot. Equipment counts for sure but ammo is the key to getting maximum results. You are going to burn a lot of 22LR to see what your rifle likes. When you find it, buy a case. The case of 5,000 rounds won't last long.

The 22LR rifle/pistol is the most confounding, finicky, exhausting thing to figure out on earth, except for ladies. The ARA scoring is WORST EDGE, a few thousands off and you lose lots of points fast. It is scored 100, 50, 25 and 10 all in 1" TOTAL at 50 yards. The X ring is a dot not much bigger than a period. if the shot touches the 25 ring on the OUTSIDE you get 25 not 50.

I am shooting Eley match now and ordered some Eley 10X. It ain't cheap but so much fun I can't stop. I also bought some Eley club to give it a try.

This type of precision shooting makes reading the wind a art that will drive you nuts. Wind can blow a .22 bullet at 1070FPS MV a long way off in 50 yards if you read it wrong.

My built rifle is not top of the line but the 40X rimfire action is amazingly and surprisingly better in capability than the world known Anschutz 54 super match. It beats my Anschutz 1411-1413 hands down. The top actions are all right bolt, left load actions. They are from Turbo, Stiller and several other makers. After that you put a barrel on it, stock, Jewel trigger and scopes from Nightforce, Sightron, Burris and others in powers from 32 to 50 with super fine cross hairs you can go shoot.

The thing I find most disturbing is no USA manufacturer is making 22LR ammo that is truly competitive. Eley, the gold standard for decades (until bought by Remington) is now fading to Lapua Midas, Center-X and RWS ammo. None of it is made in the USA and can get real hard to obtain when we do see the ship arrive.

This discussion has been closed.