In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Griffin & Howe Side Mount

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭

I recently picked up a Mannlicher Schoenauer Model 1908 in 8X56 MS for a good price - came with a side mount base but no mount/rings. I figured it was a G&H or Jaeger, which I have more than a few of, and bought it. It is a G&H ... but a single lever, which I had never in about 50 years seen one of. :(

Did a fair amount of searching, saw one offered for about what I paid for the rifle. Threw out an offer at half price and instead of the finger got an OK.

A few shots -

Other than being a bit harder to find and more than the two lever G&H, anything special about this mount? Did G&H ever serial number their bases? This one is stamped "6" on the inner underside of the rail.

Comments

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭

Can't help much on the side mount. Like you, I have a G&H side mount on a Mannlicher Schoenauer but, as you mentioned, it is a double lever. I have a single lever Jaeger on a Remington "Springfield" and probably some others that I can't think of right now but nothing that will help with your questions.

It certainly appears that you intend to shoot your "new" rifle and I can make some comments on that. I got one of those 1908's, a carbine, at an auction 20+ years ago. Their was a front sight and dove-tailed receiver ring but nothing else. I managed to cobble up a rear sight for the barrel dove-tail but the front bead is so low that I had to keep filing the v-notch deeper to compensate resulting in a very crude system. Your sighting set-up is very sophisticated; you even have the old Lyman #36 swing-out receiver sight! (I wonder what those would cost, if you could find one.)

The 8x56 cartridge is pretty much a reloading project since factory ammunition is long gone or collectors stuff. First off, I recommend you try to get a copy or print out of the article published by Ken Waters in the June, 1995 issue of Handloader magazine. I don't have 8x56 dies so used 8x57 dies and Winchester 8x57 brass. The cases have to be trimmed a bit and the shoulder bumped back slightly. I don't recall what I used to bump the shoulder but I have a lot of dies and apparently found one that would do the job. After forming and trimming, 8x57 dies work fine for subsequent reloading. I have not done a lot of shooting with my carbine; my records show I've only fired 55 rounds. Now that you've reminded me, I'll have to get it going again--Thank you.

I am hooked on those old MS rifles and carbines, too. But with the exception of the 1908, mine are post-war models. I wish you good luck with yours and keep us posted.

g7h

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

Suggest you call the source, G&h is 973-810-2272. They're very helpful & easy to deal with.

• dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the detailed response.

The dovetail rear sight was replaced by a blank insert. My habit on any old gun is to open up the little storage space in the stock and inside - there it was the original rear sight. Along with a sheet and a reload recipe -

I found a set of 8X56 MS dies on another site and the price was OK. I figured something could be put together using 8X57 doing neck sizing, and will likely use the Hornady "zip spindle" neck resizer. Those things slip through the neck with zero lube. And the Winchester 8X57 brass trimmed and resized works just fine.

I hadn't paid much attention to the rear sight when I bought the rifle. And when I noticed it thought it was neat, it even has an insert that swings out that takes it from a tight peep to a ghost peep.

Then I noticed one for sale on that other auction site - jeeeezus. 😯

I have a Model 1952 in 257 Roberts, conventional rifle stock, and agree. Great rifles that are so well made.

LGS has a 1910 in 9.5X57 and am considering snagging it.