In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

In case anyone missed me...

Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭

Over the past week, I had an adventure.

Drove to Phoenix to spend time with daughter and family. Came down with Covid (finally, after staying clean for two years) and then a severe episode of sciatica. The latter was so excruciating that on Sunday morning, I passed out in the bathroom, toppling over backward and hitting my head on the tile floor. I was completely unable to move and had Claudia and the VRBO landlord call an ambulance. I was taken -in agony- to the Mayo Clinic, where they took a head CT, chest X-rays, and hip X-rays. That's where I learned that I had not only Covid, but hip arthritis plus sciatica.

I never thought I would utter the sentence "I've fallen and I can't get up" but that's exactly what I said to the ambulance tech. He thought that was proof that I was out of it, and he was likely right.

Anyway, after resting for a day, Claudia and I managed to drive back home, arriving just a while ago. I am now Mr Gimpy, hobbling around with a cane and gobbling Tylenol like it was Halloween candy. Will see the local Doc as soon as I can and see what lies ahead.

We'll never know who gave what to whom, because our daughter was feeling bad when we arrived, but now all five of us have Covid. My case was no worse than several winter coughs I've had in the past, but it is true that some things do taste weird now. Hoping that Claudia's case is also mild, as she is now in only her third day of it and she managed to drive the whole way home.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Hell of a adventure. Wishing you and all the best to get well.

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Glad you're getting better, and didn't get hurt in your fall. Mark immediately came to mind.

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭

glad your safe and I bet your happy to be home

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Sciatica sucks! In itself it isn't fatal, but at it's worst you almost wish it was. I am surprised you could ride in a vehicle that long because that only makes mine a whole lot worse. A friend of ours had an electronic implant done 10 years ago that short circuits the sciatic nerve. Think pacemaker but nerve stimulation instead of heart muscle. I hope my occasional bouts never get bad enough that I have to do the same. If this is your first bout, you may get by with a shot and some muscle relaxers. I hope you get relief soon. Bob

• bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭

Glad you're ok and back home. Hoping for a fast recovery, for your family also.

Bet you never thought you would crash land in the bathroom, glad that it wasn't worse.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭

Between you and what happened to Mr. Christian I think I'm gonna start wearing a helmet when I get in the shower!

I went through a bout with sciatica about 17 or 18 years ago. Absolute misery incarnate. Doc was no help, chiropractic was no help, physical therapy was no help, yoga was no help. Finally went and had acupuncture done and it knocked out probably 90% of the pain. After the second treatment a week later it was gone and has not recurred. I was about as skeptical as one could be about the acupuncture when I finally went and tried it but after getting the results I did I'm a believer.

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭

Close call! Listen to the docs and heal up quickly!

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Was the name Rocky chosen by your parents due to the nature of your head structure? Sorry you are in pain, glad the fall was not worse!

• waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭

I’m glad your up and able to move around. I’ve had sciatica attack I will call it a couple of times in my life, it hurts.

I am lucky in that I learned to live with it and manage it by doing exercises and stretches, it really helps, haven’t had a problem in the last 30 years, thank god. Chiropractors are a waste of money and time. When your able to move around better have your doctor prescribe you some muscle relaxers and then try some stretches. Bad news is it will maybe take a couple months to fully recover where stiffness is totally gone.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

wow

that's a nightmare adventure for sure , falling and whacking your head on the floor never a good thing .

like others my 1st thought was of Mark C ( may he RIP ) was still fresh in my memory

we wish you a fast recovery and as comfortable as the docs can get you while recovering

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin

Glad you were not seriously, or fatally injured in your fall. Glad to also see you are on the mend.

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

Hope you heal completely.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be honest and admit I didn't think of Mark until now, but that IS scary.

I apparently hit my head on a tiled wall corner, with my body wedged from there through a door opening and twisted up. The ambulance crew had a helluva time getting in there to take vitals and then prepping me for movement. And when they worked a sheet thing under me to drag me out and then lift me, it was pretty painful. But I never drew blood from my head, and the CT scan said my brain wasn't any more damaged than beforehand (their joke).

I only wish Mark had been so lucky.

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭

Glad it wasn't worse!! This is an example of why I wont shower unless my wife is home. What happened to you was bad but laying in the shower for several hours waiting to be found would have made bad even worse!!

Us old tough guys can take a licking and keep on ticking. Might be a rough week or two but you will be back irritating your wife in no time at all!!

All of us GBers will send some prayers for healing your way.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******

Yes you were missed. There was more computer talk and you did not reply. I knew then something was up. Sounds like you cashed in a couple close call tickets all in one bout. Geez, glad that's out of your system, now no more of that.

Glad you survived and on the mend. Best wishes for you and yours.

Local Doc has me set up for an MRI.

Have learned that the most excruciating thing is the toilet, with all my weight on my hip bones. Can't stand that pain long enough to create "movement."

It's snowing this morning, and I laugh at the idea of running the snow blower. It can melt.

Wife's Covid is kicking in and we haven't shopped since returning. Plenty of canned goods and stuff, but no fresh groceries. Will call for delivery. Could be interesting days ahead!

Remember: If it doesn't kill you, it isn't a problem. And if it does, your problems are over.

• grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭

All of us OF's have overcome some pitfalls. Just mark this down as another one and take care of yourself and your wife. We all wish we were close enough to bring some food and supplies. Prayers sent.

• Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

Will insurance cover the repair of the broken tile in the bathroom floor. With a hard head like that there much have been massive damage to the floor and other ceramic items in the room. 😉

Get well soon!

• bs233jlbs233jl Member Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

That's a bummer. I hope you recover soon.

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear it Rocky, guess you are going to need the old folks button and a good pain killer. I recommend rum!

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

Rocky, both you and your Mrs. are in my prayers for full recovery's. I know from my own experiences with that nasty sciatica just how awful the pain can be!

I posted a short while ago here about a form of acupuncture my physical therapist called "Dry Needling". I had VERY good results in just a couple of weeks of this procedure after a long year of suffering with sciatica.

• SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭

Glad you are feeling better. Wife has the same issue with sciatica so I kind of know what you are going through.

I have arthritis in my spine and it can be very painful at times. Luckily I have kept it under control with Aliev when it gets bad.

Like you both of us avoided COVID for all of this time until a month ago when both of us got it. I was more worried about my wife as she had HBP and diabetes.

We both got through it. Worse symptoms were on the the first 3-4 days and then just sore throat and cough.

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

Hey Rocky, how ya doin? I hope you are continuing to get better

Not a good day. The sciatica has abated but it masked what may be a bone bruise I must have gotten when I passed out. My lower leg really hurts and I can find no position that gives relief. Taking pills and rubbing with Voltaren.

Thanks for all the kind words. I'll grit it out.

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭

Glad you survived the fall which as we know could have been a lot worse. Helpful tip: #1, at a certain age we should never lock a bathroom door just for the reason you encountered, we learned that the hard way when my visiting F-I-L fell in ours with the door locked and he was laying next to the door. Gaining entry to help him was an experience I'll not forget anytime soon. He survived 👍️

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

your still in our thoughts for a fast and complete recovery until then

I hope the doc gives you the feel good pills to take away some pain

• Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,616 ✭✭✭✭

I'm so sorry for all you are going through.....wow, rough run of luck for sure! When I read you fell in the bathroom I couldn't help but think of our recent loss and how truly horrible a simple fall can be. I'm glad you are on the mend and I hope things only get better and better!

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

Glad you're still with us! BTW, I've found that Tylenol is about worthless for back pain. Stick with NSAIDs. It's by prescription only but Meloxicam works the best for me and I experience no side effects. Otherwise Aleve or Ibuprofen work ok.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain

NSAIDS are verboten due to kidney issues, Mr P.

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

Gotcha. Well, I hope you get relief soon. It's bad pain for sure.

And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain