In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Doesn't everyone eat Mexican food for Thanksgiving??

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭

Hot Momma and I have been married for 24 years. This is our first Thanksgiving alone, just the two of us.😔

Our daughter and her hubby went to hubby's family in Pennsylvania, our son went to our future daughter-in-laws family about 3 hours away. So we had a fantastic Thanksgiving meal last Saturday when everyone could attend. Lord have mercy Hot Momma is a good cook!!

Last night I went down to a great REAL Mexican restaurant I frequent. I am always the only non-Spanish speaker in the place. This place is the real deal. The food has not been Americanized in any way. Definately not Tex-Mex or even anything like you have ever eaten before. Bought a bunch of carry-out for today. After turkey on Saturday, leftovers Sun, Mon, Tues and Wed, we were turkeyed out.

It was very different eating Mexican food instead of turkey today!!

Comments

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November 2022

If spicy hot, I can't do it but sounds delicious being the real thing. Enjoy and have a great Thanksgiving.

ETA: And NO, I won't dare ask a establishment with the real deal for 'mild'.

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

The Mexican immigrant joined the U S Army. After two weeks of Army food, he went to sick bay. The doctor asked " What's the problem, son?"

The soldier pointed to his stomach and said "The fire went out!"

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭

I can relate to that dreher. About 25 years ago on one of my many trips out west I stopped in Cheyenne for the first time on my way to Sturgis. After wandering around taking in downtown I drove across a large bridge south over many RR tracks and stopped into a Mexican restaurant. Late afternoon and I was one of the few customers. I'm sure that I was the only one that spoke English as their first language. The food was amazing. Nothing like the Mexican restaurants in Indy. I went back the next couple of times I stopped in Cheyenne.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

Well yeah, but look where I live. This year we are breaking with tradition and having turkey soup. Turkey enchiladas tomorrow.

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I did a job at Kansas City Transit a few years back and found a great little Mexican restaurant that was all Mexican. Great food.

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

Both Turkey and Mexican are good for a siesta afterwards.

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,311 ******

Just curious what this "real Mexican" food you speak of is exactly? I lived in multiple south/southwestern states that share a border with Mexico and/or have a significant Hispanic population and the "Mexican food" served in restaurants can vary widely from region to region and even in the same city or on the same street, let alone different areas in Mexico I have visited... I have also tried to find good Mexican food in most other states I lived or visited over the years most have been eatable although not all... I am just vary curious as to what you consider the real deal? As far as having it for Thanksgiving I have had some Mexican food on that holiday many times when visiting the home of Hispanic friends, not so much in my own home though since I already eat some form of Mexican food in my home about 4 to 5 times each week...

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭

The real deal to me starts with the fact 99+% of all customers are Hispanic. Much of what I see I have never seen before. An example would be chunks of white meat chicken floating in a light green sauce/brothe/gravy with cactus and hardboiled eggs.

Many dishes use cactus. I had never before tried cactus. Love it. I took my pastor down to La Rosita's. My pastor ate the cactus and said "That is what a green pepper should be!" Nothing seems Americanized. No menue's, since the menu changes every day, no chips, no guac. There is so much variety that is ready by 10:30 AM, all in warmer trays that I asked the owner what time he starts cooking in the morning. His answer, 4 AM 7 days a week.

Honestly, it is a dive restaurant. I've been in there early in the morning and I can still smell the bleach used on the floors so it is clean but to say it is not fancy is an understatement. I'm sure there is a table that doesn't wooble but I have yet to find it.

Joe, the owner can't believe how hot I like the food but with the exception of the black beans the food is not hot but very tasteful/flavorful. You can select from three salsa's from the condiment area. Mild red, flavorful green, HOT red that I can't do!! Lord have mercy. Can you say liquid fire?? Also at the condiment area are chopped raw onions and celantro and sliced onions and fresh jalopanos.

Ruger does this you some idea what I'm talking about??

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******

If they offer mild without me having to ask for it, is for me then.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

Some of the real mexican food

I would have to tale a pass on

I worked with A Mexican for several years he was a engineer

And we talked a lot about food snd life stles there and here and his favorite dishes I will pass on at some of them

My youngest son workes with some fresh from the border all hard workers

over all a good bunch of guys most are legal some not soi much he eats and enjoys a lot of there food

He tells me the group he knows all take turnas aking dinner and rotate to each families house that way somoone is not having to cook every day

I thought was was a nice arrangement

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

dreher, I thought you had made it to this place in Columbia off Bush River rd. Check out their menu

https://www.realmexicorestaurant.com/

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭

That is seriously upscale compared to La Rosita's. I'm talking fantastic food served from a dive facility.

As an example, they take cash. No cards, no checks. It is very simple. Cash.

That gives me a much better idea @dreher and yes the best I've ever had for sale was in what I call the "hole in the wall", Mom and pop shops or little shacks. The only thing I miss since living in the country the last 30 years is the closeness of those kind of places that cities had. Every strip mall in California or street corner in San Antonio had Taco shops when I lived there back in the day, I judge most places by their beans, rice, tortillas and salsa if they can't get those right, I have no interest in trying anything else... Flavor is what counts, not the heat level... Overall the best food I every had was at a few Mexican girlfriend's Grandmothers homes or when i was still young and doing underground cable construction back in the 80's all the laborers would bring food from home for lunch and breaks wrapped in aluminum foil and we'd heat it up on the back hoes or generators engines... It's also hard to beat any tamales and/or burritos you can get out of the trunk of a car while waiting for repairs at the motorcycle or auto shops... the good ole days!

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,817 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

All or most all of the "mexican" restaurants in my area are very Americanized... I cannot find any that use all the different meats from the cow or even make their own tortillas

• 62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭

Whenever my better half and I are in the Dallas/Ft Worth area......we always try to drop by an El Fenix restaurant.

Tex-Mex??.......yes....but the best Tex-Mex I've ever had.

"Real" Mexican food is just too hot for my "heat sensitive" tastes. 🥲

edited November 2022

@62vld2042 When i was still commuting into an office in either Richardson/Plano or Las Colinas (DFW areas) "El Fenix" was a go to spot for Wednesday Special lunch Enchilada plate. Definitely a Tex-Mex place another standby used to be "Mercado Warez" a local chain also, but both have gone down hill in quality imho... I find it funny so many associate "hot" with real... most Mexican I know don't make very "hot" food, flavorful yes, often spicy but not "hot" although quite a few will have peppers and/or a hotter sauce on the side to add if they want.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

"Real"Mexican food is hard to come by. Tex-Mex mostly.

Agree the real stuff won't burn coming and going.

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

You saying Taco Bell not real Mexican?

Have no clue what Taco Bell is, oh I know, fast food. In one end and out the other, FAST.

Joke.

Truck stop hires a new waitress, regular driver stops in and thinks I am going to have some fun.

He orders 2 flat tires, 2 headlights, and a order of running boards.

New waitress goes to kitchen a bit confused, cook says no worries, he wants 2 pancakes, 2 eggs sunny side up, and a order of bacon.

New waitress dips up a bowl of soup beans and heads back out and sits them on the table .

Trucker says what's this? I didn't order any beans, reply, might as well gas up while you are waiting on breakfast.

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭

Not Texican! Too much cumin. NM food has a strong Native American influence (19 tribes). Arizona has a Sonoran influence, different but good. California, who knows.