In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What Is The Reason NICS Asks For Extra Information?

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,003 ******

And it never brings good results.

After all the normal questions are asked and answered, the NICS examiner asks what information is in Box 10. That is the address of the transferee.

Then, the examiner asks for the information in Box 25. In this box, the transferor has to record the name and location of the gun show, if the transfer is taking place at a gun show. Now get this: This question was asked on a Saturday, a WEDNESDAY, a TUESDAY, and a Friday. I can see asking this question on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, but on a Tuesday or Wednesday? Who holds a gun show on a Tuesday or Wednesday?

But, I dutifully answered the questions. So far, I've gotten a DENIED response, and three DELAYED responses.

The DENIED response at least had an explanation. Lady said, "I think I know why. I shot and killed my ex-husband, but I was "No-Billed" by the Grand Jury. I showed her how to appeal, and she said she tried, but gave up. I helped her get the gun she ordered sent back to the vendor.

The others?

#1, NICS never called back. The time ran, and I transferred the gun. BTW, "3 business days," means one full week to the NICS.

#2. This was on 11-23-22. NICS gave a "Delayed" response and said we could do the transfer on 12-1-22 if NICS doesn't call back sooner. Transferee went home, about 15 miles away. Shortly after he got home, NICS called back with a "Proceed" response. He opted to come back today, 11-25-22, for his gun.

#3. A second shotgun for the same guy in #2 arrived today. He picked up the shotgun we called in the NICS check for 2 days ago, but we had to call in another for the shotgun that arrived today. We are still waiting for the call from NICS or for the time to run out. NICS says the time runs out on 12-1-22, same date as the one given for the NICS check called in on the 23rd.

Asking questions does no good. I did call "Customer Service," and all the person there wanted to talk about was the new rules for persons between the ages of 18 and 21. So, I didn't really get anywhere, but I found out that a person in that age bracket will ALWAYS be "Delayed" and that the waiting period can be up to 30 days. WOW.

Rant over.

Comments

• mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

We have a gun show promoter who regularly schedules weekday "one night" shows in my area. Most commonly Wednesday or Thursday, late afternoon into early evening. They are generally well attended. (Southern WI)

The rest of that sounds like politics.

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,003 ******

Well, that's just weird. Does he get any big vendors? I'm betting no. I can't see setting up 5-7 tables for a couple of hours.

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭

In 42 years I have only had one denied customer,that form has to be retained for 5 years🐐

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

glad im not buying guns anymore

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

One in 42 years?? WOW, that's amazing. We didn't get many but maybe four or five I would guess in twenty years. NICS has changed recently. I walked down the hall and entered the gun shop yesterday. My buddy who owns the store was not happy with all the crap going on with NICS.

By the way, my understanding is that the stores who sell cheap handguns like Hi Points see the most NICS denials.

• mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭

I have seen alot of denials in the past few years. Especially since covid up sales. An there is no specific firearm in question. Everything from Glocks an Sig"s to Winchester rifles. Its not the cheap stuff any more. As it used to be the low end stuff. Now the straw buyers are going for money guns an multiples at one time. i attend a gun show almost every weekend. This time of year its alot of 3 days shows. We average about 2 or 3 denials a weekend. But out of 150 or more sales its kind of normal. The reseach ones are about the same 2 or 3. Which can take up to 15 days. But here in Pa State we use PICS not NICS.