In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pretty Sure My Front Winch Will Never Be Stolen -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Just finished mounting my front Smittybilt XCR Winch, to the Smittybilt XCR Off Road bumper on my 2010 (modified) Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport. (Multi-day effort.)

I attempted to mount the winch over several days, (for Hours,) trying to get to the rear grade 8 bolts w/lockwashers. After inumerable attempts and multiple "You've got to be F'ng me," expletives, I had given up on the rear two bolt mounts.

Was just down at my buddies shop (Master mechanic, Aircraft mechanic and Master Fabricator, Welder.) It took about an hour of copious swear words to get two bolts, in place and torqued down. (Glad it was not just me.)

The main reason I went down was to install/replace a rear wheel sensor, that lit my dashboard up like a Christmas tree. (Not so easy in itself.) Still a 20-30 minute job.

Like I said in the OP title. Pretty sure no one will be stealing this winch. Access to the bolt's from underneath, is a No Go.

Good luck trying to Steal it. 🤔😉😂😁

($20.) Good friends are irreplaceable. 👍

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

In that case they will just steal the whole rig! 😯

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't screw with the winch for my car hauler last month. Had a plate welded in and bolted to the frame of the trailer. Best 100 dollars spent and most likely a better job than I would have done. They even hooked up the winch for that.

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Was talking to a Co-worker Worker last week. They stole his entire (newly installed) lift kit, off of his older model Jeep, (80's-90's.) on the side of our building, with no Security camera's, in the daytime. (About $15-1800 total.)

Thieves Suck. (Let me catch you, in the act.) 😠

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭

Ken- you share alot of stories that could really use pictures!

@Warbirds, I've pretty much given up on sharing pictures. My Tablet (4G Verizon dedicated Samsung Galaxy.) suffers from "Terrain Issues." The only way I can post photo's, is to take my Tablet for a drive to the head of the Holler.

Pretty infrequent occurrence.

No security camera's work both ways.. of the shape they will be in when the law arrives.

Select, I've got no problem with our Security camera's recording me beating the ever loving crap out of thieves removing parts off my Jeep. I also park right out front, in full view of 3-4 different camera's. (As viewed from the monitors inside.)

Around here, I would never be convicted of anything, besides protecting my property.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

glad you got it and frustration is just a part of it. thank goodness cars and trucks do not have feelings as I have called them every thing while working on them

some times double jointed elbows swivel jointed fingers are required while standing on your head and your neck twisted in several direction's to get a job completed is all thats needed 😁 .. now I am much older its even a bigger challenge to even change a fuse under the dash 😲

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,311 ******

I'm still wondering why it would cost $20 for a good friend... I don't have many "good" friends, especially here on GB, but the ones I do have would help me no charge, although they would expect beer to be involved whether at my house or there's... 😁

• Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭

They might not steal your front winch but what about your rear winch?

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******

The trouble with thieves is that when you think you did everything to protect your winch, they come along and steal your catalytic converter! 😫

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen a lot of the "just rolled in you tubes" garage post where people had welded rebar even aftermarket theft prevention cages around the catalytic convertor, but they still get stole

also her in Ohio a few days ago and south of us a fellow caught a guy trying to steal his convertor and confronted the theif who supposedly started to fight the owner,

who pulled a gun and shot the bad guy in the leg ( my guess he did not want to kill only injure him ) last I seen the DA was reviewing if to see if press charges against the owner and shooter . was going to happen

here in Ohio we have a stand your ground law ( finally after years of left crying its not fair ) that should cover the situation use to be you had to run hide avoid th ebad guys at all cost no matter what they were in process of doing

to me it should be 100% legal to stop a theif what ever it takes DRT should be a no penalty choice

the town I grew up in th elocal paper still has a out of the past I think its 25, 50,and 100 yrs ago they pull out old headlines

any way many years ago I remember two that have stuck with me one was the local sheriff telling the people with the new fangled automobiles not to be driving around town at night using the headlights to spot light rabbits and shooting them in peoples yards in town 😲

the best one was the sheriff was chasing and shooting at a chicken thief who had stole a couple chickens in town and was in his car running away headed south trying to get out of town the sheriff was chasing him and shooting at him

that was the way it should be now no mercy

.. but could you imaging any LEO or even private citizen now days shooting and trying to kill some one for stealing a couple chickens now .. OMG

oh how times have changed for the bad now in Kal you have to take ( steal ) more than a thousand dollars in one trip for the LEO to even file a report or come after you

My buddy, (a friend) runs a business. I was at his garage. He was covered up, but squeezed me in as a favor. Told him on the phone that AM, I was not looking for a "freebie." I always insist on paying for any work/time/effort he expends on my behalf. He only charges me roughly 1/2 to 1/3 what his normal rate would be.

We are friends. I am not looking to take advantage of that.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Ha ha, Neo. I forgot to hit the post button then when I came back around I just erased what I had written. Snafu me thinks.

You are a good man. Offer to pay.. Their call if they don't want the money. IF he need your help someday don't be surprised.

We all mutually help each other here on our Holler @Select Fire. This is a Shooting buddy also. We've been to multiple gunshows in years past. (Think that's how we met actually.) He has a 150 yd. Range on his property I am welcome to shoot at. He has turned me on to a few guns being sold locally that I have jumped on. Most recently my Ruger SBH in .44mag.

This guy is an absolute Treasure to have in the neighborhood. If he can't fix it, it can't be fixed. Was in charge of Maintenance for Boeing at the Atlanta Airport before getting tired of the Rat Race and moving to the Boonies. More Certifications and Capabilities than you can shake a stick at.

A really Great Guy also. Proud to call him a friend. You don't take advantage of people like that.

No need to "smash a window." It's a Jeep. Unzip the rear window or velco off a side rear window.

Only a moron would smash a Jeep window to gain entry.

• Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭

“Only a moron would smash a Jeep window to gain entry”

Well, believe it or not, they’re out there, and they vote!

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

Thieves are amazing not smart but nevertheless amazing. During the early 70s my 1st cousin was at the old Baptist hospital in Knoxville, TN setting with his sick mother and his Dodge, I can't remember what model with the Hemi engine was in the parking lot all day and night and the next day. When he went to get in it and go home it wouldn't start. He raised the hood and the entire engine was gone. The thieves evidently had pulled up with a wrecker and unbolted it and took off with it. Looks like it would have been easier to steal the whole car but nobody ever said they were geniuses just good at stealing stuff.

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭

Only a moron would steal a jeep!

• drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭

Did you go with steel cable or synthetic?

I'm on a 2nd winch on my Jeep. Started with a 9k Badlands with steel cable. Used it a few times to winch others then burned it up trying to winch a 2500 Chevy pickup out of a swamp and up a hill.

Swapped it out at Harbor Freight for their 12k Badlands Apex winch with synthetic cable. Went back and pulled that Chevy out like it was nothing to it.

Stuck chevy:

Snatch Blocks help a lot

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭

Driving a jeep on a windy day is like running with a piece of plywood!

• redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭

Why would a thief want to take just the winch? They will use it to pull your whole rig on to a trailer and drive off!

edited November 2022

Like your Jeep drobs. 👍 Mine is set up somewhat similar, but is a soft top. Lifted w/beefier springs, aftermarket Nitro 8.0 shocks, flat steel Smittybilt flares, similar Smittybilt XCR bumpers, (front/rear) several sets of Rough Country lights, (front/rear) Smittybilt 9,500 Winch w/steel cable, (w/rediculous gear reduction ratio) Rough Country Steering stabilizer, Rubicon mags, BF Goodrich KM MT's, K&N Cold air intake, vented/louvered hood via Rough Country, Fishbone Inner fender liners, Fishbone spare tire Jerry can holder, Tons of Quadratec accessories, etc. etc. (More stuff I am forgetting probably.)

It never ends.

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭

Go check your Jeep, it's gonna be great on my Tundra.

edited November 2022

I added a 2.5inch SuperLift - consisting of Springs, Shocks, and Longer bump stops, 33 inch Mickey Thompson Baja Boss MT tires. Plus JKS Swaybar Disconnects. Bumpers are Redrock from Extreme Terrain. Steel fenders are cheapies from Amazon. Steel Fender Liners are Rough Country. I have Metal Cloak heavy duty differential covers - front and rear and an AEV rear differential skid. Also have a Rugged Ridge Tire carrier on the rear that reinforces the tailgate hinges. I have a Hi Light Jack Mount for it in the garage but no HL Jack yet. I found I can strap on a 4 gal Rotopax jerry can to the rear tire. However the damn thing leaks!!!

I've been impressed by the OEM Willys limited slip rear and 3.73 gearing. It just climbs like a goat - no need to push any buttons (like in my 4Runner). The gearing holds 2mph down hill in 4low. I plan to re-gear to 4.56 for 35's down the line. Will probably add aftermarket limited slips or lockers front and rear. I would like to add a D44 front axle but have trouble justifying the $$$$. Maybe I'll upgrade when I break the D30 front.

A member of my off road club owns a Jeep modification / repair shop and gave me that light bar. I just needed to rewire it and buy the mounts for it. I finished wiring it this past Monday and it was working great, Then went to turn it on Saturday and it was dead. Yesterday it's working again. I guess I need to check all my wire connections. The previous owner of the Jeep shop cut it off another vehicle. I may just dump it an buy one that doesn't have cut wires.

When I was Jeep shopping I wanted a hard top. Now I wished I bought a soft top. Those hard tops are heavy!

And a pretty picture from Colorado a couple months ago with the old winch.

I'll try and see if I can get a couple photo's of my Jeep posted. It is almost impossible from my house. (Deep in a Holler.) Verizon 4G dedicated Samsung Galaxy tablet. My "Service," has been referred to as having "Terrain Issues."

I live less than 1/10 mi. from Doe Mtn Recreational Area. An 8000 acre ATV/UTV Off Road accessible area. I've been about 15 mi. up in there, (but before I had my winch on and was solo.) Decided I'd better turn around and get out of there, before getting stuck. I live on a "Private" gravel road, that if you continue on about 1/10th mi. down, you are in the Recreational Area.

I used to "off road" on my own but then I joined a couple Off Road Clubs & Jeep Clubs on Facebook. Now I find there is always someone that will gladly join me trail riding anytime during the week or on weekends. I live about 20 minutes from the Mark Twain National Forest / Glade Top Trail and lead or participate in weekly trail rides.

I know a lot of folks hate Facebook but... I find there are tons of groups worth joining on there. I really don't post much on my personal page and don't do politics on there. I primarily use it for Off Road Club events.

I'd recommend you look for some Jeep clubs but find one that actually trail rides. There are a lot of Jeep Clubs that only do pavement car shows, pavement group rides, and pass out rubber ducks. If you don't have any luck with Jeep Clubs look into Overland Groups - those guys love going off road.

By the way, I did the youtube thing for a bit but switched to TikTok for posting short vid clips.

My youtube:

My Tiktok that I'm currently using:

I know the Chinese are tracking us on TikTok but It's a better system than youtube.

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

You all do know he doesn't really have a jeep, right?? Or a winch?? Now I suppose he will have to come down of Wolverton Mountain, find someone's jeep, a nice expensive one, oh, and it must have a winch, and take pictures. Then find some six-year-old kid to post them for him. You guys have caused him a lot of trouble. It would probably be better to just ignore his posts from now on.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭

doesn't that little yellow one he pulls around on a string have a winch??????

I don't know but if he asks just tell him that you see it and it is big.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭

so does he really have a dog? or just a fuzzy couch pillow he talks to???????

I think he really has a dog but I think it is one of them hairless chawa was.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

I have met Buddy, all dog, nothing foolish about him.

Ed/Butchdog2 has also seen my Jeep, when I met him at the Gate of Redtail Mountain Golf course (couple years ago) to let him in, to give an estimate on remodeling my Mom's bathroom. (That is where he met Buddy [you know, my Chawa wa dog] as well.) He was doing me a favor as he usually does not take on small jobs like that. He is one of the "Premier Builders" in the Boone/Blowing Rock, NC area.

Yes, he did a phenomenal job on the re-do. Thanks again Ed. Greatly appreciated. 👍

Sent Mr. Ricci some Jeep and "Chawa Wa," (Buddy) photo's from my phone @work today, where I can get Service. (I can not log on to Gunbroker to send photo's though.) [Gun sites banned.]

The proof is in the pudding. (So to speak.) Haven't heard a peep out of him. 🤔😉😂

What up Ricci? 🤠