In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Zero distance

What distance would one typically zero (assuming tight groups and a capable shooter) for max point blank range of a 50 cal inline muzzle loader firing 250 grain power belts with 100 grain pellets of pyrodex?

Asking for muzzleloader season to get an idea.... velocity seems to be around 1800 give or take 100.

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

The bullets flight is an ellipse; a constantly increasing curve. Gravity affects the bullet the moment it leaves the barrel. The sights and the bore are never in a parallel condition. All you can do is sight-in at the average distance you think the shot is, say 50 yards. Then check the bullet rise at 25 yards and fall at 75 and 100 yards. Then you know the point-blank range, within 2 inches, out to 50 yards and the drop at 75 and 100 yards. Good luck.

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭

Your velocity and bullet weight are similar to my scoped .44 magnum rifle. I have it sighted @ 100 yds. My reasoning is that at closer range the bullet is not going to be very much higher or lower than line of sight and I am not going to attempt a shot that is much more than 100 yds.

• Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023

Old post but:

100 yards if scoped BP rifle.

35 to 50 yards for iron sights.

Set a target at about 50 yards first and see what kind of 3 shot group average your gun nd you can produce.

This can save you lots of times cranking left right and up down trying to set the sights BEFORE you know the average group size of the gun and you.