In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

357 SIG

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,258 ******
edited November 2022 in General Discussion

Anyone of you'uns use 357 SIG in your carry weapon? I imagine someone here does. I think I remember one feller who carried 38 Super. Anyway, I considered it before settling on 9mm for my carry piece. I guess there are conversion bbls that would allow me to swap if I want to.

Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,648 ******

I carry a Sig 229 DAK in 357 Sig occasionally. It safe and ready to fire just by pulling the trigger.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,992 ******

I have a SIG Pro that has both the .40S&W, and the .357 SIG barrels. I have not used it as a EDC/CCW but have shot both calibers. Can not tell the difference when shooting.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,258 ******

Oh no! Did you just say there's no difference between 40 and 357 SIG? I may need to rethink my rethinking.

And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

Exactly what I'm saying. AND, both rounds are obsolete.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

I will stay with the .40 with underwood ammo

• Options
    edited November 2022

And, the .40 S&W is actually 10mm, which has also been marked obsolete by this forum.

Think your options are 300 blackout or the 6.5 squeezemore (you have to squeeze more when necking down those casings)

• Options

We don't have any bears in central SC.. the 10mm choice so I reckon I will shoot .40's out of it.. it runs them fine.

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

I carry a Sig 239 once in awhile started as a 40 bought the barrel just before they discontinued that barrel for that gun

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with Select Fire as I like the 40. We tested it on bullet proof glass (from our old HQ) & it out performed 9mm & 45 acp. It's also very accurate. As far as 9mm...We had to put down many deer that had been hit by cars. Unless you put a round thru their pea sized brain, they would have flipped you the bird, if they could.

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

I carry a Glock 32 about 70% of the time. Great gun and I really like the 357 SIG. It hits hard and is really accurate. Being a bottle neck type cartridge it will feed much better than a straight walled cartridge. My only beef with it is its loud. I shoot all my carry guns inside my house to see how loud the are and if they have a bad muzzle lash and the 357 SIG is loud in the house and out side.

I don't reload for it(about the only thing I don't reload for) but I don't use my reloads in any carry gun. Ammo isn't to hard to find. I bought 2000 rounds several years ago and I still have plenty. The NCHP carry the 357SIG so I use the same ammo they do. I haven't done any real penetration tests but I will say I shot an old 80's truck tail gate I have and it went through where the handle and lock are where a 9mm and a 45 ACP would not.

I think it would make a fine woods gun too. I shot a beaver with it and a doe that had been hit by a car and was really messed up and it killed them like a lighting bolt.

I am not a fan of the 40 when I am not carrying the G32 I carry a 45 ACP. I had several 40's but never really got to like them.

RLTW

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

Yep, have a Glock and an M&P 40 with 357 barrels. Have carried the Glock. Surprisingly, both shoot at the same point of aim with either barrel.

• Options

I done the penetration test yrs ago on the bladder tanks. The .45 ball didn't even go in one side where as the .40 almost broke thru the back side.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, my Green tip is useless and now the 1000 rounds of Winchester 230 gr. ball here in the office won't work either??? Damn!! I will order a .410 Taurus Judge in the morning.