In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Copyright question

Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭

Going to be fully retired soon and am considering part time work to keep busy.

Over the past few years I have heard of this silly trend called ‘Gender Reveal’ parties.

Going forward I see a market for ‘Gender Conceal’ parties

Could I copyright this?

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele

Comments

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

The short answer is yes. To enforce, you would need to register it.

https://www.copyright.gov/what-is-copyright/

Selected excerpt from the above link:

What is copyright registration?

Copyright exists automatically in an original work of authorship once it is fixed, but a copyright owner can take steps to enhance the protections. The most important step is registering the work. Registering a work is not mandatory, but for U.S. works, registration (or refusal) is necessary to enforce the exclusive rights of copyright through litigation. Timely registration also allows copyright owners to seek certain types of monetary damages and attorney fees if there is a lawsuit, and also provide a presumption that information on the registration certificate is correct.

Copyright registration also provides value to the public overall. It facilitates the licensing marketplace by allowing people to find copyright ownership information, and it provides the public with notice that someone is claiming copyright protection. It also provides a record of this nation’s creativity.

There is only one place to register claims to copyright in the United States: the Copyright Office. For more information on registration benefits and procedures, please see our Copyright Registration Circular.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

I'm in if you need a partner. I miss the old days when there were only two genders and any aberrations were concealed, or at least not flaunted. You know, back before men could become pregnant and even a grade school kid could define a woman. Bob

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭

IMHO a Gender Reveal Party would involve gettin nekkid and a Gender Conceal party would involved putting on clothing. Not particularity something that someone would want to patent. 😁

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,455 ✭✭✭✭

Well it would be a repete party as a lot of alphabet citizens chane weekly and come up with more categories

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

The very few pieces of what I have learned about gender reveal parties (and I never read a complete article on subject) is that some kind of an explosion takes place during such an event. From fireworks to cannon fire, several injuries and even a death or two have been reported.

I have only caught the headlines but it seems to me that some kind of expert in ballistics probably could find lots of work and if that so called expert also just happened to like dressing up as a clown......well??? 😁

• SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭

Possibly not, the general rule is that common words or phrases cannot be copyrighted.

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/5-things-you-cant-copyright

• DerBarbarianDerBarbarian Member Posts: 289 ✭✭

It can vary a bit, some people use those smoke popper things with either blue or pink smoke, some people do balloons, others do cake, etc. It always seemed really stupid to me, but to each their own I suppose. What I can say is a lot of these new trends that are coming about seem really really stupid, again that's just my take on it..