In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Kimber adjustable rear sight replacement for fixed sight?

sklokerskloker Member Posts: 3

I have 3 full size kimber 1911s. One has adjustable rear sight and the other 2 are fixed. Does anyone sell an adjustable replacement for the fixed Kimbers? I do see the cut is different. Thank you.

Comments

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭

My duty gun used to be a Kimber 1911 with an adjustable rear sight. Then one day during qualification firing, the adjustable piece broke completely off. Looking at the break, I was amazed at the small amount of metal that had attached the sight leaf to the adjuster. Replaced it with a fixed sight.

• TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

Kimber, Novak, Dawson, Fusion, LPA, these and others make/sell various versions and styles of adjustable sights for KIMBERS.

Any of these five may still need a tiny bit of fitting, if you are handy and careful, along with having the proper tools for installation, it should only take a few minutes to remove, fit and install the replacements.

BUY from a known quality gun parts company, there are cheap copies out there that are just that, cheap copies and not worth the savings in cost.

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

I looked at all of those places tank, but all I could find were adjustable replacements for adjustable sights. I wasn't able to find any adjustable for fixed replacements. I'd call one of them and see what they say.

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Adjustable sights are for competition shooting and hunting. A fixed sight is better for a defensive pistol. Fixed sights can be adjusted to 25 or 50 yards by moving, filing or adding meta to the sights.. They are then sighted-in for that distance and never need to be moved again. Any other distance can be compensated for by hold-over or under. Just my experience. Good luck.

• TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

1- Do you have an older Kimber or one that has the G.I. type of rear sight with are rear top of the slide behind the dovetail is rounded?

2-Or is the fixed rear sight set down onto a flattened area behind the dovetail?

I Have have and have had Kimbers with fixed rear sights and they have all been of the latter (question 2)

If the latter(#2) you should have no trouble with most after market adjustables made to fit the Kimber dovetail.