In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

hourglass shaped slugs

onejaegeronejaeger Member Posts: 20 ✭✭

My supply of Winchester "BRI" 12g slugs is running low and I have not been able to find anyone manufacturing "hourglass" shaped slugs. My smooth bore rifled choke tube shotgun is Very accurate with the 1 ounce "hourglass" slugs , But will not reliably stabilize any of the Pistol bullets in a sabot that I have tried ,8 different varieties ! I was hoping someone here might know of a manufacturer of "hourglass" slugs or could suggest a load ?

Comments

• AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

You might try "Maplewood Bullets" - he doesn't show any slugs of any type at the moment - but if you 'ask the seller' on an auction item he might be able to direct you to a supply. (In passage, all of the things he has custom cast for me to the size and hardness I specified have all been top drawer.)

Here is one of his auctions: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/959618202

This may not be exactly the slug you are referring to - but molds can be custom made and then you can cast your own to the hardness you want. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/957674631

Best Regards - AQH

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭

as AQH has said I think it is Lee who will custom make a lead mold, you might have to pour your own, but you would never run out again.

• onejaegeronejaeger Member Posts: 20 ✭✭

My apologies. My post was poorly worded. I am looking for factory loads that my smooth bore/rifled tube shotgun will shoot accurately. Winchester and Federal have produced the " hourglass " slug loads in the past . I was hoping someone was still producing them. Should have just asked if someone had a smoothbore/rifled tube slug load that was accurate ? Sorry again for the confusion.

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

Lyman makes a mold

• SWAT 50SWAT 50 Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭

Brenkie made a sabot slug.

• discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭

i will not recommend a sabot style slug, simply because i don't think the rifled tube setup will help accuracy that much. a sabot needs a fully rifled barrel to achieve the accuracy results you seek. IMO if you choose to use a rifled choke tube, stay with the old style Foster slugs and be happy getting an 8in grouping at 75 yrds. full rifle barrel +sabot slug might get you a 5 inch group @ 100yards.

• Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭

I would purchase an improved cylinder choke tube and switch to the available rifled slugs on the market. It seems like the best option aside from upgrading to a modern barrel if possible. It seems the slugs you seek have gone the way of the dodo bird.