In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

C&R Question

Mobius60Mobius60 Member Posts: 1

I've been trying to find the answer to this question, but haven't had much luck: Does the ATF actually know what you've bought using your C&R license? How would they, it's essentially a private sale. You're required to log the purchase/disposition in your bound book, so if they were to do an audit, they must know what you're supposed to have in there, otherwise what's the point.

Comments

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Well, when I ran a gun shop at least a couple of times a month we would get a call from the ATF Tracing Center. The nice lady would give a make, model, serial number, date, location, and supplier, gun was shipped from. You are supposed to have up to 24 hours to respond. My rule was that we had twenty minutes to respond. It was explained to me that the check was usually of a criminal nature and time critical. I would not want to not be able to provide that information due to faulty record keeping. Since you aren't dealing with new firearms you will probably never get such a call. The only way I can see that the ATF would know what firearms should be in your bound book would be from your entries or from another FFL's bound book.

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

as Ricci said, no the atf doesn't have any way of knowing 'what' you've bought except if you bought it from a 'dealer' and they check his/her books. If you bought something from a private individual, then no at all. if you do not renew your 03 ffl you can destroy the 'bound' book, unlike other ffl's which must be turned in.

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

i wonder if the bound book rule has changed for c&r under the new rules? need to read the new ruleing