In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Advice for Stuck Screw (Rem 700)

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2023 in Ask the Experts

Just picked up a Rem 700 SPS (6.5 CRDMR) from a friend. He just had it sitting around and never did anything with it. Got it home and gave it a good clean/lube. When I went to take out the filler screws in the receiver (for the scope mount), the rear three came out fine, but the front one (that doesn't go all the way through) is stuck tight. I tried letting it soak in oil, but no luck. To make matters worse, the soft flat-head of the screw is starting to strip.

In any case, what tricks do y'all have? I have heard of heating, soldering another screw on top, gorilla glueing the bit to the screw head, and a few others. Would appreciate your experience on what works. I think I have one more shot at it before I strip the thing too far, and I am not going to be able to drill it out on my own.

Note: no sign of lock-tite in the other screws. I think there's just a bit of rust in the threads.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Comments

This discussion has been closed.