In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pistol brace legislation

mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone paying attention to what is going on?

Comments

• Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭

Every article you read has a different opinion. Supposed to be a ruling in December 2022. I took mine off and they will stay off until the dust settles. It should be legislated not an ATF rule.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭

Huge fight and confusion on all sides

ATF trying to make there own laws and very vague so they leave there discretion open

Suppose to be a points system but what I have seen and read nothing would pass and still be a SBR

After about 20 yrs and millions sold and owned legal now the ATF changed their mind

Even their rules conflict with each other on the pistol braces

So many gun youtubers including lawyers

Say it's all so confusing and a lot of lawsuits but most have to wait untill the BS laws fall

Possibe they may not issue it for now but noting is positive

It breaks several constitutional rights but they do not care

JMHO

like stated just sit tight

This law would make millions of law abiding gun owners felons overnight

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭

Why don't they go into the inner cities and take them away from the gang members who are actually using them to shoot people? I have watched a lot of YouTube videos where they play large roles. Back in the 20th century Gang Bangers carried cheap .25 autos or Mac-10s in 9mm; now there are lots of 5.56 and 7.62x39 pistols. Big difference in firepower.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,425 ✭✭✭✭

Not unlike the bump fire stock Ditch-Runner.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options

dont I know it

its very difficult to take a hammer and break a $100.00+ item

what ticked me off beside the ATF flip flopping like tey always do was no one was fighting to have a reimbursement paid to anyone or the company's who owned them

what would happen if the government came out and said OK every one with a completely legal yesterday item ---just fill in the blank maybe your favorite brand shoes (as long as it was not gun related) and break it beyond use or turn it in

every want to be lawyer and alphabet rights group would be all over it .

and yet 4 million illegals have came across on the sorry POS in charge watch

I am sure our bump stocks or a pistol brace's are a bigger issue to the well being and economy of our country

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,425 ✭✭✭✭

I completely agree D-R.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options

I hope the courts will go the same direction as they just did with bump stocks the atf overreaching there authority

So just back down boys and girls get thete hands slaped hard and told shut up and leave law making to the big boys

• Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭

So it seems the SB Tactical Mini is no Longer Considered a Pistol Brace.

SB Tactical Just Got Back to Me and No Brace is Considered to be legal without removing or making it a SBR.

Final determination on common pistols with braces.

Photos and more

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/undefined/bracefinalruleguidance-non-commercial1-10/download

.https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/undefined/bracefinalruleguidance-commerciallypdf/download

From SB Tactical

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. CONSULT A LAWYER IF YOU HAVE

QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW ATF REGULATIONS WILL APPLY TO YOUR PRODUCT.

SUMMARY OF ATF “STABILIZING BRACE” RULE

I. ATF released a final rule invalidating all prior brace classifications and setting forth

a new multi-factor test to determine whether guns equipped with braces are “rifles.”

 The rule will take effect the day it is published in the Federal Register (which as of

January 17 has not yet occurred). (p. 1).

 All “prior classifications are no longer valid as of” the effective date. (p. 108).

 To determine whether a brace-affixed weapon is a rifle, ATF will assess surface

area, length of pull, marketing materials, and other factors. (pp. 290–91).

II. The final rule regulates guns equipped with braces—not braces themselves.

 “The Department [of Justice] did not need to consider classifying or banning

‘stabilizing braces’ alone without an attached pistol because, under the [Gun

Control Act] and [National Firearms Act], ATF regulates ‘firearms’ as defined by

those statutes. ‘Brace’ devices alone are not firearms.” (pp. 261–62).

III. Under the new rule, many existing guns equipped with braces will likely be classified

as short-barreled rifles subject to regulation under the National Firearms Act.

 “[A] majority of the existing firearms equipped with a ‘stabilizing brace’ are likely

to be classified as ‘rifles[.]’” (p. 12).

 “Because many of these firearms generally have a barrel of less than 16 inches, they

are likely to be classified as short-barreled rifles subject to regulation and

registration under the NFA and GCA.” (p. 12).

 ATF published examples of brace affixed firearms and weapons platforms that it

has classified as short-barreled rifles. These examples include firearms and

weapons platforms equipped with SB Tactical braces, including the SBA3, the

SBA4, the HKPDW, the SB-Mini, and more.

 Smoothbore firearms (so called, “pistol grip shotguns”) affixed with stabilizing

braces will “fall within the purview of the NFA as short-barreled shotguns.” (p. 23).

IV. The final rule will immediately require “any new making or new transfer” of weapons

equipped with stabilizing braces that constitute short-barreled rifles to comply with

the National Firearms Act.

 “[T]he rule is immediately effective in that the Department [of Justice] may seek to

enforce the NFA’s requirements with respect to any new making or new transfer of

a weapon with an attached ‘stabilizing brace’ that constitutes a short-barreled rifle

under the NFA.” (p. 14).

V. The final rule provides a 120-day compliance period for currently possessed weapons

equipped with stabilizing braces.

 “The Department [of Justice], in its enforcement discretion, has determined that

current possessors of these affected firearms have until 120 days after this rule is

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. CONSULT A LAWYER IF YOU HAVE

QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW ATF REGULATIONS WILL APPLY TO YOUR PRODUCT.

published to take the necessary actions, as described in this rule, to comply with

Federal law to avoid civil and criminal penalties.” (p. 204).

 ATF published a one-pager on how different types of affected parties may comply.

These options generally include: (1) register the firearm; (2) replace the short barrel

with a longer barrel; (3) remove the stabilizing brace so that it cannot be reattached;

(4) forfeit the firearm to ATF; or (5) destroy the firearm.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron