In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 700sps tactical bullet weight

cootcoot Member Posts: 28

I have a Remington .223 in a 700sps tactical with a 20" barrel & am wondering what grain/brand of bullets seem to work the best generally? Thank You

Comments

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Do you know the barrel twist?

• chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭✭

Some of the early 700sps rifles were reputed to have left the factory with 1-12 twist barrels, but later were standardized with the 1-9 twist. If your particular barrel is 1-9 twist, then it should shoot fine with any bullet in the 60 grain range.

• TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

Mine will do sub-3/4" 5 shot groups (when I really concentrate) and have had 10 shot groups that a bottle cap will easily cover using Hornady V-MAX 55 gr. stock # 22716 bullets, along with Benchmark powder that gives me super consistency , I don't seem to get any fliers with this combo.

With other powders and bullet weights or bullet styles or manufacturers ---- well some come close with a lot of testing, but I get some fliers with most other powders and bullet weights. My rifle really likes Benchmark and this particular bullet..

I did change out the Black Hogue squishy rubber stock for an oem Rem. sps polymer varmint stock for a firmer feeling hold and solid mounting, along with a Timney trigger that really makes a huge difference .

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think you could go wrong with a good 55 gr. bullet like the above mentioned V-max or the plain-Jane Hornady spire or Sierra spitzer. I, too, favor Benchmark powder. My .223's are 1 in 12 twist except a re-chambered Remington 722 which is 1 in 14. My guess is that your rifle, called "tactical", has a quicker twist but still should handle 55 gr. bullets well. I believe that is a good place to start. Of course, the point may be moot, in that with the unavailabilities we reloaders are dealing with, we have to take what we can get. Good luck.

edited January 2023

I just ran a dry patch through my 20" barrel which actually has approx. 18.75 inches of rifling at 2 full rotations so I figure that means mine is a 1 in 9 twist. the trigger is at 2.25 lbs.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Should be spot on with your twist method.

Should shoot most any weight but for best results you will need to try a few different loads.

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭

1/9 should work OK with 69 grains and under.

Well mine as mentioned 3 posts up above is just fine for me with the stated bullet and powder, BUT others from 50 to 69 gr just don't do as well, "the rifle picks the bullet and powder" rings true for me.