In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Model 94 Info

Brian ReddenBrian Redden Member Posts: 16
edited January 2023 in Ask the Experts

I have a Winchester 94 "Centennial 66". It has it stamped on the top strap. The frame isn't brass in color. It doesn't have an octagon barrel or or brass cap on forend. Serial number is also strange. WED1953. Any idea what I got?

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Without looking my guess would be--------------------------------------\

1966???

• Options

You should look-------------------------------------\

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭✭

I wish I had a good answer for you but all of my references say the Centennial 66's should all have the 1/2 octagonal barrel, brass finish receiver, crescent butt and brass fore end cap. Made in 1994 only. Nothing I have lists a WED serial# prefix, so this is a puzzle. There is a Winchester Arms Collector forum that may be able to help you out. So if no one here has the answer, they may be your best source for information. Good luck. Bob

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭

Post a couple pics and we can clear it up.

• Options

Let me know if you need more?

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Just a put-to-gether model 94. Only part a "^ 66^" is the back strap.

• Options

I don’t disagree, but the serial doesn’t match anything I can find. Also seems strange someone spend that kind of money to re barrel it when you could get them $200 back in the day.

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Where is it written that gun folks DON"T do strange things ???🙃🙃🙃

• Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

I think what duckhunter means is the factory had leftover receivers from the Centennial 66 run. Instead of destroying the receivers they just made a few extra rifles with standard barrels as they couldn't make a fully complete Centennial rifle as the parts were used up.

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

That makes sense and explains a lot about that gun. At least in the "olden days," gun companies, and especially Winchester, never tossed out obsolete parts that were still usable. In spite of what some "serial number experts" insist Upgrades and changes almost never were implemented all at once at some serial number or date. It was even quite common for very obsolete but still functional parts to be found in the bottom of a parts bin and used up long after the official changeover date.

• Options
    JohnERebJohnEReb Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

I can't help too much, but....perhaps in reference to the serial number of WED1953. I don't know if Winchester did it but Colt offered special/custom serial numbers at extra cost. So maybe to commemorate a wedding in 1953, or perhaps the original purchasers initials and date of birth?

This discussion has been closed.