In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ID this Spur trigger revolver.

GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

I am trying to identify this spur trigger revolver. )verall length is about 7 1/2 inches from the heel to the front end of the barrel. This has a one piece frame, spur trigger, and grip frame. the barrel, cylinder, hammer, and trigger are steel. The only markings I can find is a serial number (3017) on the bottom of the grip frame and the numbers 11 and 14 stamped on the grip frame under the left grip. The grips are a dark wood. The barrel is octagon, 3 inches long, and has a brass blade front sight. The bore appears to be about 28 Caliber. This uses a rimfire cartridge. This has a flip up loading gate latch also made of brass. As you can see it is missing a cylinder pin, sideplate, and the screw which also appears to screw into the hole in the hammer. Any info as to age, manufacturer, model, and approximate value will be appreciated.

Comments

• AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭✭

2016 is the latest "Standard Catalog of Firearms" that I have - but the Smith & Wesson Model No. 1 and 1-1/2 look much like the one in your photos. I believe there were others who manufactured similar firearms.

Best Regards - AQH

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭

Smith & Wessons had iron or steel frames, not brass. Also, they did not have a loading gate. Cylinder was removed to reload.

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Definetly not a S&W. Hard to identify. The 1860 - 70's was a transition time from percussion cap firearms to cartridge firearms. Many cartridge firearms / revolvers were developed but most failed. Was hard to beat Colt and Smith & Wesson. Maybe a knowledgeable collector will show up.

• thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Your pistol was made by Springfield Arms Company, and I have included some information on it. I don't know why your barrel is left blank on your gun, but the patent infringement might have something to do with it. I have looked through all the old pistols and this was the only match, good luck with it.

• GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

Thanks thorhammer! Is there a model number for this? What publication did you find this in? I would like to read more about it!

• thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

found it in flayderman's guide to antiques, no model number or other references in the book. I Smith & Wesson number 2 is close but not exact, and they are in the $6 to $2,000 range. Yours is missing parts and trying to find parts is like what I had to do to find parts for a Stevens Visible loader, but a junk gun and use those parts, or if your skilled enough you can try and fashion parts yourself, much luck to you.

• GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭