In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Getting Paid

poteenpoteen Member Posts: 2
edited February 2023 in Ask the Experts

I am in my late 80's and have accumulated a dozen or so rifles, handguns,and shotguns. The majority of my heirs would put there eye out with a sharp pencil so putting them in my will would not work.

I would like to sell them on GB. My problem is that the only safe method of payment I can think of is Postal Money Order, and I know that most folks pay by credit card.

My question is how can I get paid by credit card without opening a 100 bucks a month commercial account.

Ideas and suggestions appreciated.

Poteen

Comments

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Nope and if the credit card folks find out that you are selling firearms, they may well cancel your account. US Postal Money orders and personal checks when given five business days to clear are the way to go in my opinion.

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

either that or send them to one of the sellers that take consignments, ricci wright or locust fork come to mind.

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******

I have helped, and continue to help, a few men in your same circumstance. There is nothing to prohibit them, or you, from selling their/your guns directly on Gunbroker, and accepting checks and money orders for payment, but they usually don't want to go the trouble and would rather pay a small percentage of the sale price to a third party.

You can do this, or you can contract with a dealer to do it for you. As stated, Locust Fork, and Ricci Wright, and even I accept consignment sales. If there is no such dealer near you, you may need to pack them up and ship them. A lot of trouble for sure.

OTOH, I am aware that Locust Fork often makes road trips to pick up guns from clients, She is in Alabama. I will also travel, but not far, to receive consignments, and I am in NE Texas. Where are you?

Credit cards are not necessary.

• PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

I have sold for many years here on Gunbroker, and request payment by US Postal or other Money Order only. I also state that if you cannot pay by this method, please do not bid. It has not noticeably stopped my sales, though I'm sure that there may have been bids by those wishing to pay by credit card, that I have missed. A larger consideration has become shipping, in that UPS wants to ship only from FFL dealers. US Postal remains available for ordinary citizens, following their rules, and for long guns ONLY. US Postal won't ship handguns for ordinary citizens. Packaging for safe, no-damage shipping is also a consideration, I typically double box (box within a box) and cushion the gun well. New boxes that fit within each other from suppliers like U-Line add up to close to $10 per gun, so allow for that cost. Taking credit cards costs too much for me to consider.

• poteenpoteen Member Posts: 2

Thank for the offer, but I live about 500 yards from the ocean in North Carolina. Most of my guns are workers, no collector items and nothing that would be worth driving for.

I appreciate you confirming that "you can't get there from here" on using a credit card company.

So I guess it's Postal Money orders or a Gun Show

Thanks again

Poteen

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Check with ricci wright. He is near Wilmington, NC.

Guns do have to be fancy dandies just to sell for top dollar.

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin

I don't see why many sellers have this strong aversion to taking personal checks. It is one of the safest payments for a seller IMO. You hold on to whatever you sold until the check clears your account. Just plainly state this information in your auction description.

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

I'd also suggest you contact Ricci Wright he's in your neck of the woods and can give you a good idea of what ever the guns are worth, Send him the details/pics of what you got, easier than doing it your self and he has a good reputation as well as the others mentioned above.

• DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

Back when I still had my C&R license, I sold a few firearms here on GunBroker. More recently, Locust Fork has been selling several for me on consignment. I doubt I'll ever deal with selling firearms directly on here again. Folks Like LF, Ricci, Nunn and others do this regularly and have a good following of folks who often check their auctions just to see what they are selling. The small percentage they earn on a sale for taking the pictures, posting the auctions, dealing with the bidders, and taking care of the packing and shipping is well worth it, at least for me. Several of the firearms I dropped off with Locust Fork are just normal working-class guns, but I know she will get what they are worth. And all I have to do is cash the checks she sends me.

• JrebJreb Member Posts: 1

Contact me if you would like. I'm in NC near Fayetteville and may be able to help you...

This discussion has been closed.