In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dash Cams

B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

I did a search of the site (GB) and found some older discussions on dash cams but not anything current so here goes.

I want to buy a dash cam but need one that is simple to operate. When I go online for reviews the camera that one site says is tops another rates it the worst. IMAGINE THAT!!!

So of the folks that use them currently, and have bought on recently, that still may be available , can you recommend one?

Remember - simple please. Price is really not an object but with the spendier cameras come a lot of features that I will never use or learn how to access.

Thanks.

Comments

• jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

i purchased two . never spent over $40. for either of them . simple to use.

something similar to this

XGODY 4" 1080P Dash Cam Car DVR HD Video Recorder Front Rear Camera Touch Screen

Opens in a new window or tab

Brand New

$26.90

Save up to 10% when you buy more

List price: 

Previous Price

$49.99

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

I used dash cams in my work vehicle for several years with good results. Unfortunately, some of the newer types don't perform well when used intermittently and/or in extreme cold. After 2-3 failures, I just gave up and hope for the best.

When I had one that worked, I recorded a real HOLY CRAP moment. A vehicle crossed the median into the oncoming lanes and continued out of sight behind me running wrong way down the centerline @ 70 MPH. Five to seven seconds of reaction time but I was able to avoid the errant vehicle w/o losing control and I have it on video. This short video has been used several times as a training tool.

• rivethookrivethook Member Posts: 163 ✭✭✭

I have a Rove R2-4K have been using it for about a year now with no issues, its small and doesn't obstruct the view, it has a screen saver that tells you time, date and speed. I got one for my daughter for Xmas and she likes it better than the one that she had that died.

• notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

If you go on YouTube and watch — cam videos it usually has the name of the camera they are using right down and 1 of the corners

• claysclays Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭

I have been using cameras for several years now on my motorcycle. I have tried several different brands and settled on what I consider to be the best. GO PRO 10. I have one for front & one for rear views. They have remote controls, (also can be operated by cell phone), and reasonably simple to use. Once set up, just off & on. The biggest issue most people have with them is the battery life. Resolved by simply buying the optional USB cord and plugging into a port. Also use up to 128mg sandisc.

• Zebra 2.0Zebra 2.0 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭

I've wasted about $250 on 5 different cheap brand Dashcams. All crapped out within about a year. Most just crapped out and a few had problems copying videos to the SD card and got corrupted. I finally broke down and purchased a better brand called an VIOFO A129 Duo. Has front and rear camera's and you can access it with Wifi using your cellphone. Cost App. $25

0 a few years ago. The biggest mistake people make while setting up a new Dashcam is installing a cheap SD card into it. These cards must be able to handle thousands of video writes and re-writes. Small cheap SD cards cannot handle being formatted over and over and will fail without you knowing it until you try to recover a priceless video. I would strongly suggest buying an 128 Gigabyte SanDisk which retail for about $75 and install it. These are almost guaranteed to record over and over and over.

• SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭

I have been using the Garmin brand in work and personal vehicles. I have the Mini 2 and a Model 47 both have great day and night resolution.

Never had a problem with temperature both cold and hot temps.

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

Is there concern about a break in to steal the cameras or do you take them with you every time you exit the vehicle?

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Zebra 2.0Zebra 2.0 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭

Some of the higher end Dash Cams have motion sensor alerts similar to the Tesla's and will start recording the interior of your car of possible break-in's or exterior if your vehicle is hit by another vehicle. They'll also send a warning to your Cellphone if car is tampered with. Dash Cams have come a long way in the last 5 years.

• B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

I will take it out when not in use. I want it for trips. I do not drive every day and sometimes do not drive for a week or better anywhere.