In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

bolt swap for a Husqvarna 9000

golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

I have a model 9000 with a bolt in 30-06. I have finally located a bolt for a Husqvarna 5000 which was originally a 270. It is my understanding the bolt face is the face and I this will be a direct swap fit. Perhaps a gunsmith will be needed to check headspace . I'm not familiar at all what should be done to accomplish this swap. Any advice?

Comments

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,347 ***** Forums Admin

I do not know the differences between a 9000 and a 5000.But if the actions are the same the bolts will swap with a headspace check/adjustment. But I have to ask why you want to swap bolts between two cartridges that share the same head size?

• golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

swap is probably the wrong wording, The 30-06 is missing a bolt. Can you explain how a headspace adjustment is made. Trying to figure whether it is worth the money to buy the bolt and get the headspace effort done

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,638 ******
    edited December 2022

I'm pretty sure you would need a set of go/no go gauges for that caliber.

• asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

In the case of insufficient headspace it can be adjusted with judicious use of a finish reamer.. Yes, I've oversimplified this, but it isn't very expensive. edit: don't entrust this work to Bubba's Basement Gunsmithing.

In the case of excess headspace the barrel will need to be set back. Proper tools and equipment, in the hands of a competent smith, are needed for this route. Can be expensive. Or more accurately, depending on what you consider expensive, count on it being expensive. There are several youtube vids that show headspace adjustment.

One more note. When you replace a missing or damaged bolt body you also need to check and adjust for bolt lug engagement with the receiver recesses. Poor lug engagement can/will cause crap accuracy at minimum. Or it could cause a catastrophic failure.

Thanks Asphalt Cowboy.. Great response..that for me makes it likely too expensive for a $300-400 gun if completed

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭

I think the odds are good that, if it's the correct bolt for your rifle, and neither the rifle or the bolt has excessive signs of use, headspace would be OK (or near enough). I think we worry too much about headspace--if you're a handloader, you can adjust the cartridge cases to fit your rifle. If you use only factory cartridges, headspace would have to be ridiculously excessive for the cartridge to let go. I have a Springfield with .025 headspace and factory cartridges are OK fired in it. Of course, after a couple of shots, inspecting the brass, and realizing the issue, I adjust the cartridge cases for that rifle.

FWIW: Years ago, I bought a Sako L61 from a guy at work. He had lost the bolt. I called the factory rep, "Mr. Otto", and yeah, he'd send me a bolt. I had him send it to my Gunsmith. Headspace checked fine. I believe I paid $70 for the rifle and $140 for the bolt (as I said, it was years ago!). I doubt if dealing with factory reps would be that smooth now but if headspace is your only concern, I believe I'd take a chance.

I should have tried this before I wrote the above post. It occurred to me that I have a Husqvarna 3000 .270 rifle and just recently I purchased a High Standard .270 built on a Husqvarna action. So today, since I couldn't find any college football games on TV, I thought I'd try to swap the bolts. The bolts interchange and operate just fine one to the other. I have a No Go gauge and the bolts will not close on either no matter which bolt is in it. I do not have a Go gauge so I tried a factory cartridge and it fit like it should. So, I repeat, I think the odds are on your side with a replacement bolt.

Hi just saw your post on the husky bolt.. What model High Standard? There was a 5000 bolt that just sold on ebay for 125 but the guy would not entertain a no fire return plus it looked pretty beat

The High Standard is simply called "Hi Power". Made in the 1960's.