In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What the Heck are These?????

Was given these rounds. Have no idea what they are for. They are made from the parent case of the 30-06 WWII rounds. Overall they are 1.668 long with a case diameter of .468. They have what appears to be a 45 cal gas check crimped into the mouth. The gas check is cupped and has a small ridge inside the case mouth. They are full of shot. Checked all my reloading books and found nothing even close to these. Hopefully, some of you can shed some light on these things. Will appreciate any and all info you may have. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭

I have seen the type loaded for .45 ACP auto and revolver, but these are very long, I don't know if they would fit the usual pistol.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

I have thought and looked and cannot think of any standard U.S; chamber they would fit.

.44 Auto Mag brass length is 1.298.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

.44 auto mag ??

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

30 carbine blanks or someone's attempt at same. Most were pie crimped.

• Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

+1 on .44 Auto Mag. Looking thru COTW specs, nothing else is close unless the idea was to blow a 45 cal gas check thru a smaller barrel. Diameter too large for 30 carbine.

• Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭

I make shot loads for my 1917 S&W .45 acp using parent 30-06 cases cut to cylinder length that look just like those. I also make them for my Ruger .45 Colt by sizing the mouth of the case far enough to head space. in the cylinder. I don't need moon clips for the Ruger. Gas checks have gotten too expensive so I just use a card wad sealed with glue to hold the shot in. I also made a couple for my .44 mag. using cut off .444 Marlin cases. Again, size the mouth in a .41 sizer far enough to chamber. These guys are pretty wicked, they hold almost 1/2 ounce of shot. Ed