In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How old are you guys???

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2023 in General Discussion

I think I asked this a few years back???? I will be 60 this September 7th. I'm truly amazed by some of your knowledge of firearms and History, Especially Mr. P.

I use to love sitting on the floor, listening to my Grandfather talk about WWII and all the places he has seen and the things he did on the aircraft carries, he was station on. My Grandfather, Joseph Romano, served on the USS Cabot, CV28 and the USS Yorktown. He served combat duty aboard the Yorktown. He was a machinist mate III class. God I miss his stories and the man. He once fell overboard and was picked up by a destroyer, the USS Rich. The men of the Destroyer, gave him a bamboo framed picture, 3 feet by 18", of the USS rich. I donated it last year to the Naval Museum in Washington DC. It hangs there with his name and my name as a donor, on it. This is my grandfather. In the bottom picture, he is in the lower left. He was also an immigrant from Sicily, in 1930. As soon as he was old enough, he joined the US Navy. Oakie

PS, I also didn't find out until I donated the picture, that my grandfather had many awards. He never talked about this to any of us. The navy sent his award ribbons to my mom this past fall. I got them all framed for her. Someday, they will be mine to cherish forever.

Comments