In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

So frustrating.....I want to go, but I cannot see paying all those fees for tickets!

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭

My mother used to get season tickets to the Broadway shows that came to Birmingham. It was wonderful.....we took the kids to some shows and got to see everything that came to town. I told myself I was going to continue the tradition, but I didn't. They cost too much and they have so many repeat shows.....how many times do you want to see the same show. Plus, they always have one "big" show and several goofy things you never have heard of. Season tickets were not happening for me.

BUT.....

I seriously wanted to see Hamilton. Its a NEW show......rave reviews and I loved seeing it on Disney plus, so I know it will be good. I really thought Larry was going to get the hints and buy tickets for me for Christmas. That didn't happen, so I keep checking on tickets and thinking I'm going to buy a pair.

I've gotten as far as the checkout several times. If I go I wanted decent seats, but that means paying at least $350 per ticket.....which I was ready to do. Its the stupid fees that stop me. Its another $300 in just "fees" to buy tickets. $700 is a lot, and I think I can see that being my cutoff.....$1000 is too much though.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭

I would not pay half that to see the real Hamilton. Don

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭

I'm told that the cheap-seats copycat version is titled "Hey, Milton!"

But seriously, it looks like you're dealing with scalpers. Fees to buy tickets? BS.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

I love musicals. Someone would have to pay me good money to sit thru Hamilton.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Kasey, are you going to the venue website or one of the ticket websites like stub hub or ticket master? They are very jacked up. I bought my Hamilton tickets from the venue for $95, orchestra area seats. On one of the other sites same tickets were outrageous.

• Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭

They are sold out everywhere now.....they went on sale some time ago. I seriously thought Larry would have handled this or I would have gotten them right away. I've been checking both StubHub and Ticketmaster for tickets. They only have a few more shows that I'd be able to go to because of my schedule. I thought a Saturday 2pm show was happening....UNTIL an added $300 showed up in fees before I paid for two tickets. Good grief!

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭

Kasey, if there is no way around the higher price tag then just do it. You may not have time in your next life and you work hard all the time ............................ it's just money, why work for it if you can't enjoy any of it, pull the trigger and go have fun as you never know what tomorrow will bring.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭

Go fer it! I didn't need that 45-90 Martini Creedmore with the Soule sights either but I wanted it. I wish I could remember the name of the C&W song that goes something like "Coulda, woulda, shoulda, but I didn't".

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭

We catch a Theater Production once or twice a year in Springfield, MO. They have 2 theaters. Always kind of fun as most of the cast will be out at the local restaurants and bars after the shows. We usually get close to the stage, maybe 3 rows back. Prices are cheap - $50 or less per seat. It's a local cast though.

During all the mask orders / covid crap, our group went to a show in the summer. Cold AC plus a mask and myself and another were out like a light! Snoring.

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

Im taking my wife to a concert for the first time in years next week. The fees were half the cost of the 2 tickets!

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭

drobs is giving you great advice. My wife and daughter have seen multiple Broadway plays in NYC. They are both amazed that the local theater group will put on productions every bit as good as NYC Broadway productions!

The best part of a local show is my wife and I go for $45!! Thats for both of us! I get my ticket for $20 as I get the Old Farts discount!

I would be willing to bet there is a good local theater group within easy driving distance of your home, as in under 30 miles.

Here in Spartanburg the local Theater group and the local Ballet company are where I get the most bang for my buck when I want to take my wife out. Great plays/dancing at a very reasonable cost, only 12 miles from my backdoor!!

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭

I Googled local theater groups in Blount Co. Alabama. I got 5 listings, all with high 5 star or almost 5 star ratings.

• Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking about it. I've started planning a winter trip for next year and I don't know what is going on with that exactly yet. I am giving everyone until March to let me know if they are "in" or not. If I have a huge group going we are looking at renting a HUGE cabin, which will be all on my credit card and I'll plan on them paying me back when it comes time for the trip. I told myself I want to have more experiences before I get too old to do anything, but the cost of everything seems to be what it once cost to go to the moon.

• susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Kasey, if you don't go, you will regret it. Look at it this way: travel to and from New York by car or fly, over $700. Hotel stay and meals for trip, another $700. Incidentals, $600. Tickets on Broadway, who knows. At any rate you are out over $2000.

Seeing Hamilton in Birmingham will save you at least $2000 because we all know budgets get blown when travel is involved.

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,818 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

My wife and three of her girlfriends have season tickets to the Broadway Series here locally. When the show, Hamilton, came to town for the first time back in 2019 one of the girls could not go so I got her ticket. IMHO If you enjoy hiphop music with cursing and the f bomb, seeing some of our founding fathers being mocked/made fun of all while the big government loving, hypocrite Hamilton is over glorified then you should go.. For me it was a very disrespectful show and a disappointing evening

• tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭

Try to buy a ticket as it starts!

• kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭

Or right after it is over!

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭

And fishin' gear. Never did see the appeal to going somewhere to listen/watch someone while being jam-packed together with a bunch of other folks that I didn't know. Heck, I don't like bein' jam-packed with people I do know!

That said, if that's your thing and you like it, get them tickets and GO! It's just money, you can make more.

• fatcat458fatcat458 Member Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

I enjoy doing things myself. Esp going on trips to exotic places like REMLAP, Ala bama.😍