In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dog Rules…According to Millennials & Gen Z’ers

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2023 in General Discussion

This is what I imagine is in the Millennial/ Gen Z Handbook:

1. You MUST have a dog, preferably a pair of them. Spouses/kids….optional.
  2. Be sure to refer to yourself constantly as a “pet parent.”
  3. Your dog(s) must be a large breed, preferably over 85 lbs. Otherwise, your social status will be greatly diminished.
  4. The “Pound” is soooo 1990s. Don’t go there. Get your dog from a “rescue.”
  5. Tell EVERY person you ever meet that your dog is “a rescue.”
  6. Dogs MUST be taken to a Dog Park. They’re incapable of playing anywhere else.
  7. Your dog must have premium food and premium everything else. If you don’t have a job/money, either charge it…. or walk upstairs, stamp your feet, and demand money from your parents.
  8. Shame anyone you see who doesn’t pick up their dog’s poop in public. When YOUR dog poops, though, bag it so you feel & look socially responsible…. and then leave the bag of poop by the sidewalk. You’ve done your part. Let the little people deal with it.
  9. If your dog aggressively goes after a little old lady, jogger, or mom with a baby, don’t do anything. Just yell “It’s okay, he’s friendly!”
  10. If the neighbor’s kids accidentally throw their ball into your yard, cuss them, call the cops, and threaten to sue……but if your dog digs up their lawn, destroys their flower beds, or poops on their porch, just laugh and say, “Dogs will be dogs!”
  11. You must take your dog(s) everywhere…..the grocery store, the doctor’s office, the airport, work, wherever. Don’t worry about germs or courtesy to others. It’s all about YOU and what makes you happy.
  12. When your dog gets a little older, or otherwise loses their trendiness….. just take them to the rescue or leave them on the side of the road. You’re really important. You shouldn’t have to deal with that “burden.”

😁

Other observations?

Comments

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin

Seems about right.......

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited January 2023

1 yes

2 sure

3 yes, but we have also had small dogs that didn't know they were small

4 we rescued our girl from the pound

5 yes, proudly. Anyone that knows us knows who rescued who,,,

6 she has her own yard. Oh, and the house is her's also

7 she has her own bank account

8 N/A

9 she is harnessed and leashed in public

10 she has a fenced yard of her own. When the neighbor kids ball comes over the fence we say thank you and return it after she is done with so the kid can send another.

11 she is crate trained and mostly stays home

12 she was abused, neglected, and abandoned once. That will never happen again.

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

Craigslist is full of them. " He doesn't get along with our -other dog-child- cat- chicken......"

" My new apartment doesn't allow dogs."

" My job doesn't allow time to care for him"

"Re-homing fee required "

" Needs a home out in the country where he can roam..."

Grrr!

• FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

Haha! Don't forget the old stand-by......"Looking for a FURever home."

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭

A friend has a job feeding & letting dogs out while their owners are at work, on vacation or just "away." They even pay her to stay overnight so puppy won't be lonely. Some, she just takes home with her while Mummy & Dada are away. I guess she's an emotional support human.

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

First, I'm a big dog lover. However, when someone brings a emotional support dog into the grocery store I would like to ring their neck. Then I'll take the dog home.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Floyd621Floyd621 Member Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

Thor..100+ lbs....Frea... Piston...Molly.. Pomeranian...'Nuff said...

• FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

For the record, not an anti-dog post. I love ‘em too, and have a great one (see below). Just commentary on how some of the “enlightened youth” around us look at dog issues.

Meet Raven (aka “The Frogdog)”..,

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭

The term that drives me nuts is when people call their dog “fur baby”.

• shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭✭

Forgot one.

Xx. Assume your dog is welcome everywhere you are going including staying at other people's houses who have no indoor pets.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭

I grew up with dogs. Dad had a breeding kennel. I truly like dogs - even understand dogs a bit. But when I had a dog here in Utah some 30 years ago, I learned that I'm not a good dog owner. He was an outside dog, and it was too easy to simply ignore him most of the time. I never gave him the training or attention he deserved. I won't make that mistake again.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭

About 15-18 years ago we adopted an abandoned adult dog (Max) through an organization called the Shamrock Society (non profit, volunteers) what I really liked about this organization was how they handled adoptions, we had to fill out an application and pay a small fee. Then a volunteer made an appointment and came to our house with Max to check us out and to see how Max interacted with our whole family including our existing dog. I thought very highly of the time and effort their organization put into placing one of their adoptees.

PS: Max only lived another four years before he died from cancer and even though his time with us was brief he was a great addition to our family.

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

I thought most of them had like 10 cats.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

My dog (Buddy) is unapologetically a "Rescue." I often (okay ALL the time,) suggest people get a dog in this manner. Helping a dog out of a bad situation and they just seem to know.

Buddy has been my "once in a lifetime," dog. So Blessed to have found him and brought him home. I most always say "Thank You," in my Prayers for him and for having been brought together in order to share Love. He has been a Godsend to me.

He never/ever roams free.

• bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭

This guy saved me about a year ago.

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

My dog definitely keeps me Sane and relieves Stress. (Big Time.)

Has been a Godsend to me. I say Thanks for him in my Prayers, most every night. Pretty much telling God, "Buddy has been a Godsend. Thank You."

I believe we were brought together and it was meant to be. So Thankful.

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

Daisy is a rescue dog. She runs around the mountain all day, howling like a demented coyote. She likes the wood stove.

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited January 2023

I have two couches in my living room. One dog is on one couch, and the other dog and the cat who adores him are on the other. These are pretty large dogs, one just under 100 pounds, and the other well over.

Both dogs are "rescues." One was rescued from a "shelter," living under deplorable conditions. The other was "rescued" as the last puppy left of a surprise litter. They are both 10 years old.

I walk them regularly because they like to go around and sniff and pee on new stuff.

Just about the only place I take them in a vehicle is the vet's office, mainly because it's hard to get them in and out of my truck. I don't take them to stores, or to church, though they do lead good Christian lives.

That stated, it doesn't bother me to see dogs in stores and other public places. I like dogs and if I see your dog in a store, I'll probably ask if I can pet it.

My dog Thor has carried in 4 Racoons and a half grown Bobcat.. for which I thought my Daughter was going to kill him.. nothing messes with his Territory... nothing... they have been buried in numerous places.. He's a good Dog...