In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

If you want any wild garlic -- aka -- ramps

AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭✭

Scientific name --- Allium canadense --- not the flat leaf leek relative.

We have had a day here and there of below freezing nighttime temperatures. Now the soil is warming up with daytime temperatures in the low 80's. The wild garlic/ramps are starting to pop up. If you would like to have any to start at your place I need to dig them up and get them shipped to you pretty soon. 

I have to have "reverse replacement" shoulder surgery the 4th week of February and my arm will be immobilized for up to 6 weeks - so no digging then.

If you want any please PM me with your physical shipping address that the USPS ladies/gents will deliver to.

Best Regards - AQH

Comments

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited January 2023

They are prolific in a few counties in Southern West Virginia. They have ramp festivals in May. Some have tried to domesticate them here in Virginia without much success.

I'd like to try growing some, but our time to plant is still 2 months away.

• AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭✭

The ones in West Virginia that I know about are the flat leafed leek relative type - not the round-hollow leafed things I have. I have tried everything I can think of to get the ones you are referring to survive here in north central Florida with ZERO success.

Best Regards - AQH

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭

I did not have any luck with the last ones I received from you. I will have to pass this time. Thanks . Don

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

We have ramps here, always around or over the 4000 foot elevation mark. Always found in woody areas.

They are not of the garlic family but are leeks, oops should be of the onion family, not visible now. The leaf is about 2 inches wide and around 6 to 8 inches long. Have to be careful because there is a lily that resembles them. Ramps here are slender, reddish stem, and dark green top. Fine eating, fried taters with ramps, fresh killed branch lettuce, and nice wild caught trout or two. Did I say morrel shrooms to?

We do have wild onions, the are very prolific and ain't fit to eat, they grow in open fields and flower beds. Milk cows eat the tops in the spring, can't drink the milk it tastes and smells so bad. Dig one up and it will have many small "babies" near it under ground, they are round like a tiny onion. Almost impossible to eliminate.

• MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭

AQH,

Just wanted to say "Thank you" again for the ramps you sent me a couple of years ago! They are growing fine, and multiplying quickly!

For those of you who are in hot climates, they tend to grow in the late fall for me, here in Tucson, AZ. They won't grow in summer, as it is just too hot.

Merc

• bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know what happened to the ones you sent me a couple of years ago, they did great for a couple of years and then just disappeared.

I would like to get a few more and I am more than happy to pay for the shipping as you are more than generous already.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"