In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cleaning Kits

DerBarbarianDerBarbarian Member Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I was hoping to get some opinions/input on cleaning kits. As of now, everything I have is a mix of odds and ends that I've bought over time for the various firearms I have, so I have a mix of brushes, barrel snakes, etc. Some of which have seen better days, so I was thinking about buying one of those "universal cleaning kits" that come with 60-70 pieces, in a rather nice and organized case. There are 3 or 4 different brands that I'm looking at so I was hoping to get opinions in terms of whether their stuff is decent quality. One is Firegear, another is Otis, and the third is Allen Company, and lastly we have Gloryfire. They all seem to have a pretty well rounded kits and they're going for $60-$100. They all look pretty good, but I figured I'd get some input on here before I bite the bullet, as there could be others that I haven't looked at, that are even better than these ones. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I clean a lot of guns of all types and I am not a fan of the large kits, as most aren't very good. Otis does make quality products but I prefer to pick and choose. My cleaning rods are all Dewey coated rods in sizes for handguns and rifle. The pistol rods are 8" with a patch holder screwed on and the rifle are 27" in .22 and .30. I do have a 17 caliber rod but don't use it very often. The shotgun rod I use is just an old Outers that I have had for years. I buy brushes in packs of a dozen, and I like Pro Shot, but Otis and Hoppes or Kleen Bore are good as well. The patches I use are from Southern Bloomer their # 124 which are 3x3: shotgun patches. I buy them by the 500 count bag. Made from cotton there is no lint, and they work great. I can use them for anything from .38 to .45 guns and I cut them if I need something smaller. I buy Hoppes #9 by the 32 oz bottle and what ever oil I have on hand. Oh, and I have a bunch of nylon cleaning brushes like tooth brushes cause you can't properly clean a firearm without a brush. I do have Buches Bore Shine bore cleaner if I need something stronger than Hoppes.

• Options
    DerBarbarianDerBarbarian Member Posts: 289 ✭✭

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it! I was going to mention that I can probably put a kit together for less than that, but I liked the idea of having a big kit that came with 60+ pieces in a nice organized container. My current setup has seen better days, so I was going to start fresh with something new, my snakes are still good, but my brushes and what not definitely need replacing, which is why I thought it'd be nice to just get a big all in one type kit.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

what Ricci posted

Kits have things you may never even use . I buy bigger bottles / cans / packs of my favorite cleaners and patches.

a tackle box or even tool boxes I use both of various sizes are easy to find on secondary markets and work well to organize supplies and specialty tools ( I have one for the evil black rifles lol )

• Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

Ricci has given some good advice. I will say the Otis pull thru cable kits are the way to go for semi auto or lever action rifles, allow you to clean from the breech to the bore as you should. I use Otis specifically for these. Midway's Tipton brushes and jags in a set have been very good also. Ricci advice on the cleaning patches is spot on also, like he said you can always trim these to the size needed.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,999 ******

What they said^^^

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,345 ******

Put together what you like and works for you... or what Ricci said... I agree that kits are mostly full of stuff I don't use.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭✭

A lifetime of guns has me owning some of almost everything known to man to clean said guns with . Long time ago I put it all in a large tackle box with multiple compartments

Works like a charm. All in one place and easy to access

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Never use multi piece rods. Only straight shaft rods, Dewey carbon fiber is awesome. Use C-4 for carbon removal just in front of the chamber on 22 rifles and WIPE OUT spray foam to get all the copper out on centerfire rifles. Use bore guides on bolt guns all the time. If using a 10-22 drill a hole in the back of the receiver to clean from the breech, jigs are available. Avoid anything that will damage the crown, it is the last thing the bullet "sees" and is a major issue for accuracy. If you use a pull through make sure you pull it straight out of the bore to protect that crown.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭

A hodgepodge may be best. I use Boretech rods. in my view the best bar none. As for tips and the rest, I use nylon brushes most of the time, and Boretech solvents. CLP is my go to lubricant. For guns that is....