In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cheese

susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

This is the little out in the middle of nowhere cheese store that I stop and shop at when I go to KC. Haven't bought a cheese there that I didn't like.

So, if you are a turophile and live in the area, stop in and grab a block. There is a stretch of 'tiques and fleas shops nearby. If not close, they do ship their cheeses.

Comments

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭

We have a shop like that on every corner up here in "Cheese Land"πŸ˜†

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭

I can get fresh curds every day of the week seven miles from my home.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******

I loves my cheese

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

"Turopile," what's that? πŸ€”πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜

What'd you call me??

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭

Took the family out for a Xmas lunch. The 5 grandkids where there an they all love fried cheese curds. Got the bill and their cheese curds totaled $70!!

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
  • susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Cows around these parts don't produce cheese......they produce cattle that are burgers and steaks. πŸ˜‹

Thus, I am forced to go searching afar should I desire more than just the standard large chain grocery store mundane fromage.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,133 ✭✭✭✭

Utah isn't known as a dairy state because we keep it a secret. Utah State U up in Logan is locally famous for its dairy school programs - and products. Their ice cream is phenomenal, as are their many cheeses. We can get their curds (locally known as squeaky cheese) in most stores. Selection of cheeses are basic - no specialty ones like blue - but really good.

One I miss from the Midwest is brick cheese. It's a firm white cheese so named because it is cured under the weight of bricks - actually stones that have been kept and treasured for many decades. It was so common in Illinois that I thought it was a universal product. Imagine my astonishment when I asked for it elsewhere and got nothing but a blank stare.

Fun cheese fact: the clay animation series "Wallace and Grommit" from England is credited with saving the Wensleydale cheese company from bankruptcy, just by mentioning it in several episodes. Today, they ship worldwide just to satisfy the demand.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.

"Fromage," there you go busting out those big words again.

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭

If you really like cheese, I suggest France, Italy or Great Britain for your shopping.

• susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Lived in Germany for eight years. Visited the Netherlands regularly for their cheeses. Cheese selection in Germany wasn't bad either.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,279 ******

They sell this block of white cheddar at our local Sam's Club that makes all the cheddar I have ever eaten fall far behind!

Cannot remember a brand or production company most likely because I always unwrap it and put it in my fridges cheese compartment right when I bring it home. All I can say is that it just melts in your mouth goooooood!

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭

Cabot seriously sharp cheddar is good . The old country store near my house sold what we all called rat cheese An aged cheddar cheese that came in a large round hoop or wheel . Mr Alvin ,the store owner would cut you as big or small a slice as you wanted . With a coke ,pack of square nabs and maybe a can of vienna sausage it made for a great lunch

cry Havoc and let slip Β the dogs of war.....Β 

Had some Tilamook aged White NY Extremely Sharp Cheddar the other day at work for lunch with crackers. It was excellent.

The Fromage led to an impromptu charcuterie. πŸ€”πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

• Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭

The Loleta Cheese Factory is right around the corner from us. It's being remodeled because it was sold not long ago can't wait for it to re open. I love Rumiono cheese.

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭

I like limburger & onion on Rye with mustard but Haven't been able to find it in years.

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

Being that we live in an Italian community, we have a cheese shop on every corner, Not to mention the Italian market in Philly, 25 minutes north. Our favorite cheese to serve for company is, Prima Donna . We also like the Canadian 18 year extra sharp cheese. We probably have a dozen or so, different types in the fridge at all time. We usually have cheese, hot peppers and olives, every night as an appetizer.

One of the few things I miss about up there @Oakie, is the Deli's, the Diners and the Good Food.

I really miss a good Cheese Steak. Down here, I make a pretty mean one, but it is not like swinging by and picking one up.