In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington Wingmaster 16 gauge barrels

midtown842midtown842 Member Posts: 4
edited February 2023 in Ask the Experts

Anyone know where I can find a replacement barrel for my older 870 Wingmaster in 16 gauge. Mine is a full choke and I would like to replace it with a modified choke barrel or Improved. Anyone?

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

you could have it machined for win, chokes or the like

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

I bought a used 16 ga. barrel for my 870 years ago. The bolt would not close on it. The barrel extension was too thick and I had to file it down. An easy fix but a lot of file-and-fit. Just saying be aware of a possible problem. Any gunshop can order one for you. Good luck.

Added: I am not knowledgeable of the availability issue. You can try gunshows but that takes time.

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

They are very hard to get as is the shotgun itself. No, you cannot just order one, none to be had. Currently there is none on here but might try ebag.

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭

You could just buy a new 16 Ga 870 that comes with a modified choke.

• AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭

I have had choke tube instillation (and 28 gauge chambers taken out to 3 inches by Orlen) done by both of these and was pleased with both. The work done by Michael Orlen took longer but the work was more extensive.

https://www.colonialchokeandtool.com/

Best Regards - AQH

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭

if you are gonna have no use for the full choke barrell, you could try shooting a box of slugs through it to open the choke up. just remember there is no going back to full choke if you change your mind.

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

"you could try shooting a box of slugs through it to open the choke up."..................this an 'old wives tale' that just refuses to die. all shotgun slugs are smaller that whatever ga, full choke barrel they are intended for. don't believe me?, just cut open a slug shell and drop the slug into a full choke barrel, it will fall through.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Since 16 gauge replacement barrels are scarce as hens teeth, your best 2 option are to have it threaded for choke tubes or have a knowledgeable smith open up the choke.

Better yet buy a new 12 or 20 870. I have owned a few 16s but the lack of of a variety of good ammo for this almost forgotten gauge is abysmal. The 3 inch 20 gauge is as good if not better a performer than the 16 and a lot more versatile with all of the ammo options. I know I will ruffle a few feathers with this statement, but face it the 16 is about defunct. Bob

• AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭

"Better yet buy a new 12 or 20 870. I have owned a few 16s but the lack of of a variety of good ammo for this almost forgotten gauge is abysmal. The 3 inch 20 gauge is as good if not better a performer than the 16 and a lot more versatile with all of the ammo options. I know I will ruffle a few feathers with this statement, but face it the 16 is about defunct. Bob" 

Well - it definitely ruffled mine and I must respectfully disagree. My right shoulder must have 'reverse replacement' surgery later this month and I have been divesting myself of 12 gauges and 16 gauges with a couple of exceptions. Moments ago I did a search on just the GunBroker auction side alone much less other venues. There are #8s - 7-1/2s - 6s - 5s - 4s - 3s - steel for waterfowl and slugs and buckshot available. One that I just emailed my nephew was 1-1/8oz.-#7-1/2-$19.49 per box and $34.85 shipping for all 10 boxes.

I swapped my nephew my Browning A5 Sweet16 for a 20 gauge and I also have 28 gauges - SXSs & O/Us - 3 inch chambers for Fiocchi 3-inch - 1-1/16 ounce loads.

This is my nephew on the left with the A5 Sweet16 - south Georgia pine flat-woods last weekend.

Will the Sweet16 do what the Benelli Super Black Eagle I kept should I ever get the opportunity to hunt waterfowl again --- NO. Will it do what the A5-20 gauge magnum I have do --- NO. But if you stay within what the 16 gauge use perimeters are and if game is available and you don't bring home something for supper - its not the 16 gauges fault -- its yours.

Best Regards - AQH

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I knew someone would take offense. I have a owned several 16's, including an auto5. I don't own any now but do kind of miss my L.C. Smith 16. They all worked but I got just as good a performance out of my 20's as I did the 16. Checking the Ammo makers websites, Winchester lists 240 12ga loads, 56 20ga and a whopping 6 16ga loads. The rest of the manufacturers are about the same. That is what I meant about the availability of ammo. Locally the availability of 16ga loads is hit or miss, mostly miss. I used to load 16's but since most of the hulls were nowhere near as good as the STS and AA hulls I loaded for everything else, they were only good for one or two loadings.

Nice batch of birds. Looks like it was a great day for a walk in the woods. Looks like you guys ruffled some feathers too!😀 Bob

This discussion has been closed.