In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FBI Background Checks

airborne867airborne867 Member Posts: 1
edited February 2023 in General Discussion

I'n new to this site and have been reading some of the forums. There seems to be some good information on what I've read which prompted me to send out a discussion on FBI background checks. Maybe someone will have some insight.

I've purchased several guns with no problems and no waits over about 10 minutes. I have one suppressor that I've had for several years. took about 8 months to get the fed stamp back after application. Purchased a .22 rifle the same day I applied for another suppressor. did the application on ATF's eForm which was supposed to make the process faster. It didn't. In fact I was notified by ATF that my application for NFA had been denied and that the FBI had returned my application without action. I was very disheartened to say the least.

I researched everything I could. ATF/FBI phone numbers are worthless. No info whatsoever on how to find out why my application was denied. I have worked in the government for 32 years, military with honorable discharge, every arrested or adjudicated mentally unstable or with violence. I can fill out a form GCA68 truthfully and purchase a firearm from a dealer. What I have found out is that the FBI / ATF do not have to communicate with you to tell you what was wrong with your application. And they don't. I did file an appeal. but now its just waiting.

Has anyone had the same problem and had success on what to do from here? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

ATF is being ATF

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

btt

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

I would recommend you use the Silencer Shop Kiosk available at many FFL dealers. It collects your finger prints and info plus walks you through all the steps as to what is needed on the forms.

While the kiosk is electronic, it only sends the info to the Silencer Shop who prints it all out, reviews the info and submits it in paper form to the ATF. You have to pay them a fee + the price of the tax stamp. You're paying them to make sure you didn't screw up the form in some way.

That's how I got my tax stamps for the 2 suppressors I bought about 2 years ago.

So in summary, start over but use the Kiosk.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

Not much help but from my experiences with gov't entities, if you go to the trouble of filing an appeal, your chances of success are fairly good.

They seem to make most things difficult to begin with and like to deny many for reasons not very well explained.

The majority of people who apply for things and are denied give up with the first denial. Those who appeal usually do well. If they are still unsuccessful, most often they learn the reasons why it is so.