In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sinter fire bullets

SnackmanSnackman Member Posts: 1
edited February 2023 in General Discussion

Does anyone use these? I bought them because they have a higher velocity, not knowing at the time what materials were used in making the bullets. Are they more abrasive on a gun barrell than conventional rounds?

Comments

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

Welcome to the GB forums, I moved your post to here in General Discussion since it doesn't belong in the other forum where you posted it. SinterFire, Inc makes lead-free projectiles. I do not know much more about them but a web search will probably give you more information and possibly some of our members have used them...

• Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭

I used to work in the sintered metal industry, and it is a powder metal process that is basically mixed and baked. What the manufacturer chooses to put in the soup will designate a desired alloy with function specific properties. If the materials list in the projectile recipe includes a copper mixture it should be safe for the gun barrel.

I have no knowledge or first hand experience with sintered projectiles, nor the intent to use them. Good luck with your inquiry.

• Gunnut358Gunnut358 Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not familiar with that particular brand, but isn't that the same process used for Barnes Varmint Grenade bullets, other than the Barnes version having a regular jacket? As far as I know, it's a copper and tin mix, so I wouldn't think it would be any more abrasive than conventional bullets.

I can tell you that a 36gr .224" Varmint Grenade fired from a .220 Swift will not only make your chronograph question reality, but will also make you wonder if the gopher you just shot even existed to begin with.😲

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭✭

Ennybuddy remember the Remington Rockets from the 50's? They were sintered I believe. I shot a million of 'em through my Stevens 14 1/2.

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

remington krumble ball too ment for shooting gallerys

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭

Velocity is not the be-all end-all when choosing projectiles, especially given the additional fiscal cost of the Sinterfire rounds.

• notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

Isn't this the same stuff air marshals use ?

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭

If you do find some and load them, be careful about crimping the case mouth. The bullets tend to break off at the crimp if too much force is applied.

• Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭

I copied your comment and sent it to my brother who used a Swift on prarie dogs 20 years ago.

His reply, "A 52 grain Sierra hollow point at 4,000 fps at 150 yards will make his buddies wonder if he was just beamed up to the great prairie dog starship. But the coyotes know to wait for dark to get supper or they would get a repeat performance."😁

• waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve never heard of them until reading this post. I understand what their trying to accomplish now, a round that will fragment more on impact. I can see why Air Marshals would use them, to get away from over penetration. Back in the late 70s or early 80s I remember someone coming out with what they called a Glasser safety round to be used by Air Marshals. It looked like a copper jacketed bullet but was filled with small shot and a nose cap to hold it all in, it was to prevent over penetration and cause a devastating wound. I don’t know if they still make them or not.

Actually, sinterfire bullets are designed for safety when shooting steel targets at close range.

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭

Right. A guy here had acquired a supply - T&E freebies as a gunzine writer - and palmed them off on his wife. They were not as good for reliability or accuracy as regular FMJ. I once had some of another brand, a subsidiary of Triton, that did quite well, but they are long gone. Leave Sinterfire for the SWATters practicing on steel at close range.

• gslide47gslide47 Member Posts: 1

I use Singer Fire because it s frangible!! I fired 45 and 40 and had reasonable accuracy out of my Glock 30S and 23, as well as my Ruger Compact 45! I din t notice any weird build up in the barrel when I cleaned these guns !!

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭

Accuracy is a secondary concern since most of this ammo is meant to be fired a large steel plates at relatively close ranges.