In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Finish Damage

jpcjpc Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
edited February 2023 in Ask the Experts

Hello

I have seen this happen on a few flat sided rifles and I have no idea what the fella was doing or at least what he was using to remove the screw!

Anyone help me out here and solve the mystery that has been bugging me for years.

Comments

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Odd that it's only on one screw.

• mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭✭

That one screw seems to be the only one NOT damaged. Maybe they mangled or broke the original, then used a drill to try and remove it?

Seems odd that the other 2 have damaged slots(wrong screw driver) and that one looks good.

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭

Did someone think it would look better with a saddle ring?

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭

The perfectly circular pattern around the screw head, and the white material around the screw edges strongly suggests some kind of powered polishing device has been used. In fact, many of the frame edges, etc. suggest power polishing also. I suspect someone "Improved" the metal finish with a good deal of power polishing and did some extra at that screw in an attempt to buff out some scratches, rust, etc.

• jpcjpc Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Here is another one on a First Model 1873 Winchester

This one is mine and the first pictures I found on the internet

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭

makes me wonder if they didn't put some type of flat blade, like butter knife through the slot in the screw and turn the whole knife, maybe even a putty knife.

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Were the guns from the same owner?

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭

Agree with hillbillie. There is the story of the Texas Ranger who jammed his '73 by loading it with a .45 Colt cartridge. He unscrewed the side plate with his Bowie knife, cleared the jam, and got back in action against the Hostiles. It is said that he traded his .45 SAA for a .44-40 Frontier Sixshooter the next time he got to town.

• jpcjpc Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

???Were the guns from the same owner???

One I own and the other picture I found on the internet.

Plus I have seen it before !

It has me puzzled................

• Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭

The screw looks to have been replaced, as the bluing doesn't match the other two screws. If the previous screw was buggered to the point it had to be drilled out, then the circular pattern is likely from drill shavings dragging on the receiver. Just my WAG.

This discussion has been closed.