In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt SAA .45 ?

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

local p.s. has a colt saa .45 for sale, good mechanical condition but not much finish left. good bore and chambers, it should make a nice 'shooter'...value??

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

You didn't give enough detail for a good estimate. What generation? A simple Google search will show you how to tell. Barrel length is also important. Without any more info it could be worth from $500 to several thousand. Sorry I can't give a definite answer. Bob

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

forgot to mention, ser. is just short of 160,000 with about a 4 1/2 " barrel

Typically it was a 4 3/4" barrel. Is it a black powder frame? A black powder frame has a screw holding the base pin in place and the more "modern" frame has the familiar sideways push button latch that hold the cylinder pin in place. If that Colt was in fact made in about 1895, keep in mind Colt did not warranty smokeless powder use until 1900.

If it is a Colt from that era, I am guessing with the finish loss but with intact original grips that it could be worth around $2500. That is just a wild a-- guess because a hands on inspection would be needed. Sounds like it would be a neat piece to own. Bob

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭

I find it strange you would ask this question being a long time member. My obvious answer is to search Colt SAA on the auction side. They even show pictures that you can compare to the weapon in question.

a. I've never gotten 'into' Colt saa's

b. none of the ones on the action side compare to "not much finish left"

I just did a quick Google search and found a 4 3/4" 45 with approximately 20% blue remaining made in 1895 that recently sold for $3000. Because it is a competing site I won't give a link and you will have to do your own search. Bob

thanks, will take another look at it

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭

Colt SAAs can cover a very wide range of prices depending on a lot of things including DOM, finish type, finish condition, caliber, etc. As with most old guns, factory-new condition brings a high price from some buyers, but other examples with lots of holster wear, worn grips,etc. evidencing a lot of carry-time and use, especially if it was made pre-1900, can bring a surprisingly high price. I, for one, greatly prefer the latter instead of a gun that has sat in a box on a shelf for 100+ years.

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

If it was anything it will be gone I would think.