In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Russian fighter jet collides with U.S.........

Comments

• Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Kinda like the scene from the Aircraft Carrier deck, in "Hunt For the Red October," when a fighter crashes on deck while landing.

"This **** is gonna get out of hand. We're gonna be lucky to survive it."

That's where we're at, presently.

*But Hey, We've got Slo Joe and * in charge. What could possibly go wrong? 🤔

How was it determined, it was a "US Drone?"

As opposed to a US manufactured drone, used by the Ukranians?

Or same/same?

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,311 ******

Read two Russians one dumped fuel in front of it several times the other hit its prop, didn't say what it hit the prop with, but that it went down in international waters...

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭

joe will give them a piece of his mind ... wait a minute what was I thinking, there aren't any pieces to give.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

how many million does that cost US?

• chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭✭

You can never believe what the MSM press or the White House is saying. Shooting it down in international airspace would be tricky to cover up.

It's also possible they got under its wing and tipped it, the same way the Spitfires and Typhoons did to the German V-1flying bombs in WW2. Tipping it would not put the jet in much danger and could likely throw the drone into an unrecoverable stall or spin.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭

Fanciful thinking there, gents.

The facts are that the SU-27 flies hundred of miles an hour faster than a drone. If you are hot-dogging with that kind of overtake speed, it is quite likely that the Roosky pilot simply misjudged it and did clip the drone.

The speed disparity also completely rules out any silly idea of "tipping" the drone.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭

The Reaper has a max (advertised) speed of 300 mph. The Su-27 takes off and lands at about 160ish. It sounds, theoretically, like it might be possible to tip it or bump the prop with your nose but the pilot would need to have a serious death wish to try.

My bet is that it was a very quick gun burst that damaged the propeller (when I say 'damaged' I mean blew it all to hell!) and caused it to land in the sea.

• Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭

I was just going to point that out too, Rocky.

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”

Max and cruise speed of the MQ-9 are too very different things. It probably cruises at closer to 200. At altitude, a SU-27 probably can't fly that slow at all, and would be very hard to control if it could.

My guess is that the SU-27 came up from behind or quartering on an intercept path, and failed to correct quickly enough to miss the drone. Impact would most probably come on something on the belly of the SU -- engine inlet leading edge or one of the pylons.

When flying formation, an intercept path is one where the craft you are joining stays stationary in your windscreen. It can be very difficult to judge the relative closing rate until you are quite close, especially with different types of craft. You aren't flying nose on; the other craft is off to the side and you are flying towards it at an angle. Think "leading" it like with a shotgun. Before you realize it, it is RIGHT DAMN THERE and you have to rather violently push or pull the stick to miss. Pilots universally pull. That would make any impact come to the bottom of your plane, as I described above.

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,311 ******

So are you saying the Russian pilot probably needed an under ware change?

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

Well, I still think the most likely scenario is the Russian plane shot it. CYA is the word of the day.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain

That Russian pilot was probably marched off at gunpoint when he landed - for his last time ever.

We'd have known from the telemetry if the drone had been shot. Those things ARE piloted; it's just that the pilot is in a trailer somewhere, watching his instruments and readouts just as if he were aboard. The Russian claim that the drone was violently maneuvering is bogus, however. For one thing, those drones aren't that maneuverable, but the biggest factor is the time delay. Because the two-way data goes through several ground and satellite loops, there can be as much as two seconds delay between input and result. Try playing a video game with a two-second delay and you'll see why this is so difficult.

It is abundantly clear that they wanted to down the drone. Else they wouldn't have tried dumping jet fuel on it to affect the engine, and maneuvering near it to try to upset it. It was just bad luck and poor flying that they had a mid-air with it.

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

"If you are hot-dogging with that kind of overtake speed, it is quite likely that the Roosky pilot simply misjudged it and did clip the drone."

+++ BINGO +++ Rocky

"It was flying 45 mi. off the Crimean Coast. It went down after turning out to Sea, (once they realized they were going to have to down it) reportedly 70 mi. off the Crimean Coast. They wiped the Hardrive and Software in the time, before it went down in a planned downing at Sea."

It is supposedly in 4-5K' of water. The Ruskies claim they are going to try and recover it. "We have the capability."

The Ruskies claim "The Transponder was off." (Who knows.)

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

I stand corrected. Rocky gets the gold medal. 😊

Nah, it's just that I have actual jet formation experience and don't have to come up with implausible ideas.

I was just going to post that, Allen.

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭

Came at it from the front? Wouldn't have expected that! Or am I seeing it wrong?

You are seeing it wrong.

So it turns out Rocky was exactly right and I must eat my words.

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭

I'll bet tom cruise could do it.......

• Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭

It was a weather drone.

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,822 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

Rear mounted camera view?

I'm surprised dumping fuel on it did not result in an explosion.

The camera is mounted under the nose in a "ball" turret that allows 360 pan and 180 tilt. In the video, it was pointing back and slightly to the drone's starboard.

Hey Win/Win, maybe we can strap "Greta," on an American drone and submit it for elimination, or an at Sea planned downing.

She was just arrested in Norway (?) Protesting against Wind Energy.

(Because) The poor Reindeer. 🙄

She (apparently,) believes in the Perpetual Motion Free Energy Machine. 🤔

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,822 ✭✭✭✭

Yah Hey, Dem dar vindmills can be hard on da reindeers.. just ask da Santer klase

Too bad it is not hard on the Biden/Harris combo.

They need to have AV gas dumped on them, harassed by Russian Jets, clipped in flight, have their Software deleted, downed at Sea, in 4-5K' of water.

Another Win/Win. 🤔👍😁

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭

The drone is pretty fragile and the SU-27 is incredibly maneuverable. Not out of the question that the impact was deliberate.

A good kill, IMO.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele