In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I love the sound of silver in my change.......

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

I was out and about early this morning running several errands in town. Grabbed a Mickey D's breakfast and heard that silver ring in my change. The 1942 Wheat Penny was another plus....

Seems like once or twice a year I get a silver coin back in change.... Puts me up $1.58 for the day !! 🙃

Comments

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,820 ✭✭✭✭
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

I was behind a lady at a store called WaWa. Most east coast people know this place. Anyway, some elderly lady was paying with these old bills. The cashier said, I can't take these, they are fake dollars. They have red ink on them. I exchanged the lady for all the dollars she had. Yup, silver certificates. Most in pristine condition. One was a Black Eagle silver certificate, worth just over a 100 bucks today. I had never seen one before. I gave them to my son.

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭

Silver certificates have blue ink. Don

• love2shootlove2shoot Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

So they were fake?

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭

$1.58? Not worth it if you have to eat Micky D to get it.😈

• mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭✭

I used to get a silver quarter once a year, now I'm lucky to find one every 5 years! People have almost removed all the silver ones from circulation

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

Correct, Blue, not red. Thanks for correcting me. Anyway, I know they are not worth much, But I thought my son would really like to have them. I also gave him some military money from the Nave, that my grandfather gave me. I think they are worthless, but found them to be cool. Never seen or heard of military money, until he gave them to me many years ago

• Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

Use to be a iron ore mine near here.

Workers were paid with script. Only place it was valid, company store and company owned housing.

'40 flood wiped out the tracks. No train, no mine.

• thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭

A lot of people are breaking into their old change jars to pay the bills. Keep your eyes (and ears) open for silver. It is sad you can't even keep a few pennies ahead for hard times now.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******

I save all my change but since most of my income is direct deposit, the cash and change has just become more a novelty these days. Empty bottle and can returns mainly and talk about regressing to my boyhood days!!

Most of the quarters saved go to the coin-op do it yourself car wash place during our salty road winter months. It has been a very long time since I have run across any old silver coins. Used to have quite a stash but gave it to one of my sons who wanted to start coin collecting. I still have a couple silver certificate dollars and a 5 dollar bill s.c.

Some poor condition silver halfs and dollars that I hammer and cut into gunstock inlays.

• Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

One of the few things I miss about working retail. I always bought anything unusual from the till.

A lady who worked at the McD near the store I was working wanted to pay for cigarettes with rolled coins. It was mostly wheat back pennies including an almost full roll of steel pennies. She had stolen them from her son. I bought them and felt pretty bad for the kid, but I didn't have any effective way to try to contact him.

I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

When I was in college, I worked for the University as a "Maytag" repairman. It was a 25 hr. a week job and was about the best paying student job on campus. Every two weeks I had to collect the money out of the 250 plus machines scattered through out the residence halls. Each collection was in excess of 7K, all in quarters. At least once a month I would hear that ring as I poured the change into the collection bag. I would replace the quarter with another one. I found over a roll of silver quarters during the years I had that job including a few Barber and Standing Liberty quarters.....

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

Remember Wheat pennies? When I was a kid my grandpa collected them. He would give me and my brother a nickel for every Wheat penny we found